Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer Paper and Pressing Cloth >

Freezer Paper and Pressing Cloth

Freezer Paper and Pressing Cloth

Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Freezer Paper and Pressing Cloth

1. Freezer Paper - I am working on a pattern that says to use freezer paper for drawing an applique image, iron to fabric, then cut out. I've not used freezer paper before. Where do I get it? Grocery store?

2. Pressing Cloth. I will need to iron other cut squares onto fusible interfacing. Pattern direction said to use a pressing paper to do this - to protect the iron from goo. It recommends Clover Quick Bias Design Sheets. Do I need to purchase these, or will something else work?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

You should be able to buy freezer paper in your grocery store. It would be in the same area as waxed paper, foil wrap, etc. LQS' also sell it, usually at a much higher price for the same thing.

I use baking parchment in place of a press cloth, so this might work to protect your iron from the goo!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Walmart here has freezer paper in the grocery dept., in the craft department, and in the housewares dept. I think it's in more stores in the South so you shouldn't have any problem finding it.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:50 PM

Freezer paper will be found where ever wax paper is sold. A roll of freezer paper will last a long time. Any pressing cloth will work, I got one from JoAnn's. It's a Teflon sheet. You put your pattern under it and can build layered applique. Once it cools, you peel it off the pressing sheet, place it where you want and press it down again.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

It sounds as if 2 different appliqué methods are being discussed. The freezer paper pressed to fabric and then the shape cut out is usually for needle turn appliqué? The fusible appliqué is usually the one where you need a pressing Teflon sheet if you are layering fusible shapes.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 PM

You're correct Tartan. Two different applique methods in different places on same project. Thanks to everyone about a pressing Teflon sheet. I'll look for freezer paper at Wal-Mart.

I have a Teflon sheet that is an oven liner. Is that what you use?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Try a little fusible sample on the oven Teflon sheet and it should work. The one for appliqué I think is thinner so you can position the pattern underneath and see the lines through it to position many pieces.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Try a little fusible sample on the oven Teflon sheet and it should work. The one for appliqué I think is thinner so you can position the pattern underneath and see the lines through it to position many pieces.
The one for us quilters/sewers is much thinner so we can see the design we are working on. It protects both your ironing board and your iron if you use 2 layers.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I buy both freezer paper and parchment paper at Walmart. I use parchment paper in place of an applique pressing sheet for fusible; works fine.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I buy both freezer paper and parchment paper at Walmart. I use parchment paper in place of an applique pressing sheet for fusible; works fine.
Same here. Both products will be located very close to each other, and parchment is an inexpensive and easily found replacement for a Teflon applique sheet.