Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Freezer paper, tissue paper? Help!!!

Banned
    I have this awesome book(or several) and I'd like to transfer the patterns in the book to cardboard. The book suggests using tissue paper, but I don't have any and I feel like it's too fragile and it will tear.
    Any suggestions on what to use thats see thru so I can trace it?
    Thanks

Tracing paper? Then you could glue it to your cardboard. They also have frosted template plastic at Jo-Ann's.

Banned
    I use freezer paper for this..

You can see through it well enough to trace the pattern..

Then put the shiny side down on your cardboard and press it with a dry iron. then you can just cut on the lines throught the paper and cardboard at the same time...

your done..

you can get the freezer paper in your grocery store

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Tracing paper? Then you could glue it to your cardboard. They also have frosted template plastic at Jo-Ann's.
    Chele, they have the template plastic at Hobby Lobby, too and it's not expensive. That's how I'd do it, too but love your idea of using paper and glueing it to the cardboard....good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jstitch
    you can get the freezer paper in your grocery store
    Jstitch, I've not yet used the freezer paper but someone just bought a giant roll for almost nothing at WalMart for me so it's super easy to come by. If you have any other tips on using freezer paper for projects, I'd love you to drop me a PM. THANKS!

OUTDATED X-RAYS ARE GREAT FOR TEMPLATES. IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ANY. SOME PARTS ARE TOO DARK BUT THERE'S ALWAYS SOME LIGHT AREAS TOO THAT YOU CAN SEE THROUGH. OR YOU CAN USE A LIGHT BOX TO TRACE.

pal
    I use freezer paper to trace all patterns for applique work and then iron the paper, shiny side down, on to my fabric. I also use it any time that I make something out of felt or wool. It's very hard to draw on felt, so I draw on the freezer paper, iron it on the felt, and then cut it out.

Velum paper....can see threw great....

If you can't see through the freezerr paper to trace hold it up against a window. If you have parchment paper layng around, that works too.
    Iron freezer paper to a copy of the page then cut it out..gives stability.. just like pal said.

oooh, such good tips. thanks for asking the question, quilter101 :D

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine
    If you can't see through the freezerr paper to trace hold it up against a window. If you have parchment paper layng around, that works too.
    Iron freezer paper to a copy of the page then cut it out..gives stability.. just like pal said.
    i LOVE vellum paper, but staples and office depot and pearl art center all only sell it in pads, making it very expensive. then it takes forever to use it up and i have to be extra careful not to ding it while it's stored. also, it you try to use it for paper piecing which is what i originally bought it for, forget it. the paper costs more than the fabric. freezer paper is definitely the answer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter101
    I have this awesome book(or several) and I'd like to transfer the patterns in the book to cardboard. The book suggests using tissue paper, but I don't have any and I feel like it's too fragile and it will tear.
    Any suggestions on what to use thats see thru so I can trace it?
    Thanks
    Use wax paper....it has enough strength yet flexible and you can see thru it.
    Cover the pattern with wax paper and trace with a fine point marker....then pin to your fabric and cut out your pattern.

thanks - will try

If you can afford it, or have a home scanner, just copy them. Then you can glue on to your cardboard.

i use the copier at work, copy the pattern and glue it to either plastic or cardboard.

Now I know there was a reason to hold on to my light box from my stamping/embossing days!

Typing paper works good. All you have to do is with a soft pencile trace what you want to transfer then turn it over and retrace and the pattern will transfer onto whatever you want to make a templet.
    really any thin paper would work.

Banned
    i'd say tracing paper..... then you could maybe trace onto template plastic