Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tissue Paper vs Golden Threads Paper >

Tissue Paper vs Golden Threads Paper

Tissue Paper vs Golden Threads Paper

Old 09-18-2010, 07:49 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has used tissue paper instead of GoldenThreads paper to trace and quilt a quilt top. Golden Threads tears away easily and does not pull the stitches - I'm wondering if tissue paper would work the same way? Yes, I know I can just try it...thought I'd ask first before I head out to get some :D

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 AM

I haven't used Golden Threads. I have used tissue paper, but only on small areas, like for a motif in the middle of a block. It worked fine, although I had to go back and pick out a little bit of the tissue paper from between stitches with tweezers. Not much, though.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I haven't used Golden Threads. I have used tissue paper, but only on small areas, like for a motif in the middle of a block. It worked fine, although I had to go back and pick out a little bit of the tissue paper from between stitches with tweezers. Not much, though.
I did this a couple of times. I really like FMQ much better, but I wanted to try it!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 AM

I wonder what do you mean by FMQ. I was looking to see if there were any posts about quilting paper, as I am considering it for my project. I am hand quilting, though. What would you recommend? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by angelamarcos
I wonder what do you mean by FMQ. I was looking to see if there were any posts about quilting paper, as I am considering it for my project. I am hand quilting, though. What would you recommend? Thanks.
Hi and welcome!! FMQ is an abbreviation for "free motion quilting" - since writing the initial post, I have tried tissue paper to trace my designs on - but found that after quilting it was difficult to pick out all the pieces - in other words, it did not tear off very well. Golden threads is a specialized type paper that is easy to see through yet tears away from the stitches cleanly. It is more expensive to use than tissue paper, however, that would be the big downside to it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Do you think it would also work for hand quilting or maybe the stitches are not strong enough?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

ive used tissue paper...every time i've needed that sort of thing, i've never tried golden threads paper...is it like tissue paper?
funny how some companies out there take basic materials which have been available for years re=package them with a 'quilty-name' and triple(or more) the price.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 AM
KR

I use Kabnet deli paper. Found it at Sam's....2 500-sheet boxes for about $12....enough for a lifetime or two.

It has more body than tissue paper and tears off easily. You still get little bits stuck in sharp angles, but a pair of tweezers gets it all out.

Pin or spray baste the paper to quilt top and away you go. Especially nice when stitching over seams....with the paper on top, the foot glides across the seam rather than getting catching on the fatter part of the seam.

Haven't tried it with hand quilting but it may have too much body for that. Tear-away stabilizer might be an option here.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Thank you for your ideas. I have never tried the stabilizer.