Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Golden Threads Quilting Paper

Blog Entries
    It is a tracing paper that is a tad heavier than regular tissue paper, use to trace stencils etc.
    One of the talks at yesterday's quilt meeting had this shown, I wanted to try it, so went to one of the two local quilt shops here in town, since it was bag lady day there, and got some.
    Will be fun trying so I can practice free motion.

I have used it a couple of times. I have pinned it onto my quilt with regular straight pins. I hated getting stabbed with those. My good friend has used the "dots" that they have and had trouble getting all the "dots' off of her quilt. Next time I use it I am going to spritz the paper with some 505 spray and see how that works.

Blog Entries
    http://columbiariverquilting.com/gol...ing_paper.html
    i have some myself but haven't tried it yet.

I use it all the time for lots of things. Quilting patterns, drawing, block construction. Lots of things.

I tried using a spray to adhere it to the quilt. Unsuccessful for two reasons. The spray I used was not 505 but Duro all purpose spray adhesive (recommended by an LAQ for this purpose) and it gummed up a lot and sometimes would spray a solid stream or "clunk" of gunk. I had to finger smooth it out before I could place it onto my quilt.

The second problem was that (OK - call me DUMB) I was using it on flanel. Yeah, yeah, I know. Not one of my brightest moments.

I use it all the time for quilting designs. I pin it on with straight pins and yes, get stabbed a lot but the paper works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I have used it a couple of times. I have pinned it onto my quilt with regular straight pins. I hated getting stabbed with those.
    Oh, you need Pinmoors! I don't use a straight pin without one on it. I hate pin pricks, they hurt. Don't bother using substitutes. Pinmoors are the best for the job.

http://www.pinmoor.com/

It's great for previewing quilting designs on blocks. If you use it for pinning and sewing over it, make sure you use a permanent marker on the paper si it does transfer to your quilt.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    instead of the dots are that icky spray stuff, try a water soluable glue stick..works wonders!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    instead of the dots are that icky spray stuff, try a water soluable glue stick..works wonders!

I may try that too! thanks!

Blog Entries
    I used to use Golden Thread's paper but when I went to get more at a quilt shop, the gal told me about the paper they use on doctor's tables. I bought a huge roll for $5 and it works just as well.

Since that roll of paper is a medical supply item, where did you buy it?

Blog Entries
    I traced some stencils onto the paper to try it out this am. Took it to my machine, sewed, paper kept ripping while sewing, lol, guess it didn't want to stay on long. I used the craft type lofty batting, want to save the Warm and Natural type for actual quilts. I do have some smaller pieces so I guess I can try them that way too, maybe it was the batting being so bulky that made the paper rip?
    I want to experiment now with different methods of removal of the paper after sewing. Like a damp sponge to pad the paper, not enough to get the fabric wet and see if paper that is hard to remove is now easier.

Blog Entries
    you don't want to use a water soluable glue on the paper. just a repositional spray one. that way the paper will come off which is what you want to do before washing the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    you don't want to use a water soluable glue on the paper. just a repositional spray one. that way the paper will come off which is what you want to do before washing the quilt.
    Do you have to use glue? I was thinking of just pinning the pieces where I wanted to do that design. No glue no mess.

Have used it and loved it.

As for the pinmoors. Someone posted they bought earplugs at Harbor Freight and cut them up. She reported they worked great andcost a hole lot less that the pinmoors.

Have used Press and Seal and found that too hard for me to remove.

ali

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mama's place
    Since that roll of paper is a medical supply item, where did you buy it?
    You can buy it at Office Depot. Case price is 37.00 (12 rolls), each roll is 225' feet long, depending on the width. With tax is @ $4 per roll.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/...ls/N=5+440583/

Blog Entries
    I have been playing around with end rolls of unused newspaper. I get it free from our local newspaper office, and works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    As for the pinmoors. Someone posted they bought earplugs at Harbor Freight and cut them up. She reported they worked great andcost a hole lot less that the pinmoors.ali
    I thought other items like ear plugs, pencil erasers, and earring backs were working just great until I bought the Pinmoors. The Pinmoors are worth it. They stay on until I take them off. I have to guard them at guild workshops. Everyone wants to use them.

Blog Entries
    I wonder: I have used newpaper rolls, 2.00 a role.
    You buy at your newspaper office, it is the ends of rolls,
    it is unused. Usally about 6-7 inches thick.
    Have used for kindergarden kids, drawing.

You guys are so clever and resourceful. Not ready to buy as much as that sold at Office Depot but am going to try some of this and see what works for me.
    Wonder if our little small town paper is printed here...hmmm may be printed at their main offices or whatever they call it...Will check on that first probably.

I am still going to Rant about WMart and their fabric as well as other products. I've been checking ours to see when and if we will get fabric and especially batting and a nice selection of thread. They have a tiny bit of fabric in and no one who can help much at all with a purchase BUT the fabric is almost all made in China and I refuse to buy quilt fabric made in China. There are other options out there. I will continue to use from my own stash first. Know many people without jobs and WM carries lots of JUNK made in China. I know they aren't the only ones but so often they have replaced our small mom and pop stores and if you are in a rural area they are often your main supplier of goods. I'm very much in favor of buying products made in the good old USA. If another country makes better, cheaper products, shame on us for letting that happen. But most of what we now can buy is made in China and it is crap (excuse my langugage!) but it is. End of rant!!!

An explanation..............Sorry this appeared in this area, it was meant to go in the section about Walmart fabric, not in the Golden Threads area. Again, Sorry!