Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photo quilt >

Photo quilt

Photo quilt

Old 12-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Default Photo quilt

Hi just wondering if anyone has made a photo quilt; using the special printer paper and then ironing photo onto block after printing it out? I have been working on one and have decided to tie it, which several of us ladies did. My problem is I see a couple photos cracking a little and am very concerned. Is there a spray or something I can use to preserve the photos? It is a gift for our retiring pastor and wife. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. Louise
Old 12-14-2013, 02:25 PM

I was told by the gal that does my long arm quilting for me, the best method is to screen print the photos on to material. I am trying to find someone to do that for me as I want to do a quilt for my son out his his gi's and I want to put some photos of his wins as professional fighter and in World Pan Games, Brazilian Jujitsu...his first black belt. I was told the transfer method cracks and will WHITE from creasing and handling. If this helps you any....let me know. I bought the transfer paper for light and dark but I have NOT used any of it due to my long arm gal's information. Figure it was going to make me unhappy if I did!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Staples can do it for you. They have the special paper. If you do it yourself, you are to iron the washed cotton onto a piece of freezer paper. Put this thru the printer. Then peel the paper off. Usually this is done with inkjet printer.
You could also buy the picture paper at JoAnn's. Good luck with it.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM

I have frequently and successfully - used the Printed Treasures brand where you print the photo directly onto paper-backed fabric, remove the paper and stitch the fabric picture into the quilt. I've had good luck with this process - have never used the kind where you iron the picture onto the fabric.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 AM

I also love the Printed Treasures fabric/paper. I have found that there are several types of fabric/paper that you can use for pictures for quilting. I tried a heavier fabric/paper once but didn't like it. It was too stiff... almost like plastic. The printed treasures works really well and lasts a long time. I made a graduation quilt for my DGS 6 years ago and I know my daughter washes it a lot. The pictures are still clear and colorful. So, now, that's the only kind I use for fabric pictures. And, like ktbb, I just peel off the paper backing and stitch the picture right into the quilt... no need for interfacing or anything.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
Staples can do it for you. They have the special paper. If you do it yourself, you are to iron the washed cotton onto a piece of freezer paper. Put this thru the printer. Then peel the paper off. Usually this is done with inkjet printer.
You could also buy the picture paper at JoAnn's. Good luck with it.

I recently stopped by Staples and the lady told me their machines get too hot.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:28 PM

I have used Printed Treasures fabric with good luck in the past. Recently I wanted something printed larger than the 8X11. I was doing a police themed quilt and wanted the patch I was given as a medallion around 10-12 inches in diameter. I found a site online that will print out to VERY large sizes! (depending on resolution of the picture...) I sent her my picture file and in a week or so, she mailed it to me. It was VERY reasonable...I think I paid $10 plus very minimal postage. I am not affliated with this company..just VERY happy! (the recipient of the quilt LOVED It) I will be using her for printing on fabric again! Here is a picture of the medallion quilted.

www.fotosonfabric.com

note: I forgot to mention that the fabric has a wonderful hand! I could not feel any stiffness from the inks.
Attached Thumbnails policequilt4.jpg  

Last edited by soccertxi; 12-15-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Yes, I did buy the picture paper at JoAnns. Just not too happy with it.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Do a sample test on this. I have used 3 layers of Mod Podge over pictures on fabric. They are wall hangings not bed or lap quilts. It does make the fabric a little stiff. Maybe one layer of MP would do the trick.
peace
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 PM

Ok, I think I will try the Mod Podge. Would I find it at Michaels or JoAnns?