Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread fraying >

Thread fraying

Thread fraying

Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Default Thread fraying

OK - I have changed my needle to a 90/14 topstitch - the needle is not hitting the foot. I have changed the thread and the bobbin. And still my thread still keeps fraying.

I took the end of the machine off and I think the problem is that the thread is rubbing on the piece of metal opposite of the little brush.

Any ideas if this is normal? Or - any chance anyone knows of a place online I can send the picture to ask? Some kind of repair type place.

I am going nuts! Its bad enough to know that it will take forever to get good at free motion - and now its even worse because my thread keeps breaking....

HELP!
Attached Thumbnails thread.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

are you using cotton thread? polyester isn't good for FMQing usually. In your photo the thread does look like it could rub on the metal some. I'm not familiar with your machine though.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Yes cotton. That was the first thing I thought it could be. I was using $1.00 Walmart thread...so I got some from Connecting Threads. "100% long staple cotton satin finish thread. Size 50"
Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Run your finger around the needle, needle hole, and the hole in throat plate. Sometimes there is a burr in the needle hole or surrounding area (including bobbin area) that rubs against the thread.

What kind of machine do you have? Does it have a front-loading bobbin or a top-loading bobbin?
Old 12-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

To me, it still looks like it's a problem around the needle. If the thread frays, the frayed ends get pushed up the thread path and you wind up with a wad of thread about 2 or 3" above the needle. The thread travels in and out of the fabric many times before it's actually sewn. Do you have a manual? I would get it out and double check your thread path.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 PM

I have rethreaded a hundred times.. The manual is already out I actually just unhooked the thread from the little hook just above the needle. It looks like it is not pushing against the metal part and is more towards the brush part now. Oh and it sounds like my bobbin is lose. Like it jumps up and down a little. I know Leah Day uses bobbin washers...maybe that would fix that problem.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
To me, it still looks like it's a problem around the needle. If the thread frays, the frayed ends get pushed up the thread path and you wind up with a wad of thread about 2 or 3" above the needle. The thread travels in and out of the fabric many times before it's actually sewn. Do you have a manual? I would get it out and double check your thread path.
I FMQ with my Tiara and also my Ellisimo and have found that regardless of whether I'm using Poly or cotton thread, I have good results. I did discover that the brand of needle in my Tiara makes a big difference. None of one brand worked well and I was very frustrated. I tried another brand and all has been great since. Also, be sure you have your tension set correctly. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:22 PM

I just had that problem with my machine. I discovered that it might be the way I was loading the thread. My Bernina has two pins to put the top thread on. If I use the one that leaves the spool upright it seems to get in trouble. It catches somewhere and then shreds by the time it gets to the needle. If I load the thread on it's side I don't seem to have that problem. If your machine has that option try using the one other than the one that shreds the thread.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

It could be tension.
It could be as simple as the spool of thread being "bad" or the bobbin just not working right or having been wound wrong.

I feel your frustrations ... been there, done that!

When I have problems and think I have done it all ... and still have problems.
.............I go back to the very beginning ... change the foot back to regular stitching. Take the bobbin and spool of thread off and put in a different bobbin and spool, making sure it is threaded correctly, both top and bottom. Then sew to make sure that everything is working A-OK and that the tension is good. Then if all is working seems in order, I switch to zig-zag and check that it continues to sew well. If all is good, then switch your foot and settings to FMQing .......... sometimes everything is OK, and I never know what is different. The good news is that it is OK. And yes, sometimes you have to continue with the troubleshooting, but the important thing is that you have proven your machine is working fine and then know it is something else when you are in FMQ mode.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM

CMinor, hang on here. Someone will be on here to help you. It may take a little while, but we have some really good mechanics on here. Every bit as good or better than.....