Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread fraying >

Thread fraying

Thread fraying

Old 12-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I have a similar problem when embroidering in a small area with a repetitive stitch...like filling in an eye or nose. Very frustrating. Dealer thinks I need a minor adjustment in the part that goes up and down (no clue the proper name for it). Can you save some of the thread in a zip baggie and take it to your dealer? You probably just need a minor adjustment.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM

I've had the same problem with poly thread and found that if I used a bigger needle....16 or 18.....that the problem went away....might be worth a try.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:29 PM
KLO

I don't have an answer for you but I wondered about your bobbin and whether it should be "jumping up and down". I am assuming you have checked to make sure your bobbin is the right one for this machine. I hope someone can help you because I feel your frustration. Nothing worse that being ready to sew and having nothing but problems.

PS: Just read somewhere that if you are working on a larger quilt, too much and too fast pulling/pushing can fray thread. Also, if you don't support the quilt and the area that you are quilting is being pulled by the weight of the quilt, it may fray the thread. Did I mention that I feel your frustration?

Last edited by KLO; 12-21-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

It could possibly be some of the bristles on the brush have broken and made sharp little knives against the thread. Since you have changed needle and thread then I think it is tension. Start with 0 setting. If your thread frays at 0 setting then something is putting tension on your thread between spool and needle. I know it's frustrating. When I have fraying thread I always go to 0 tension setting and start troubleshooting from there.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 AM

Boy - at least I know I am not alone! Free motion is so pretty - but so hard to learn and clearly comes with obsticales! Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try more today - once I get going and try the tension settings. I never thought to move it all the way to zero.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 PM

I think I have it! Topstitch thread on a cone with a cone stand. Topstitch needle 90/14. Tape over the feed dogs - even though they are dropped - they don't go all the way down. Tension to 6. I was able to stipple and do circles on 2 8x8 squares and the thread did not break once. I must be doing something different with my speed when moving back to front - that is when it would break. I also had my husband adjust my closed toe darning foot to an open toe with the Dremmel

Luckily due to a very slow day at work today I read a ton on Leah Day's blog....not sure if it helped but at least I am not going crazy anymore!

Thank you for all your suggestions!!!

Free motion here I come.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:23 AM

I. Would starch the back g and try putting a sloppy piece of plastic t o a tasa slider stable withhold on machine . Plus aa the other advice may work. Don't forget you are also learning a new skill which means some times we are not doing it correctly. Those who can make it look so easy in utubes.