Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting - thread is fraying >

Free motion quilting - thread is fraying

Free motion quilting - thread is fraying

Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Default Free motion quilting - thread is fraying

I am doing my best to practice free motion quilting with my Singer Quantum Stylist 9600. I say trying because I am not doing very well! I keep reading that everyone says practice practice practice so I am doing just that!

My problem is that my thread keeps fraying. I took the end piece off the machine to try to see what is going on. I know - not good to leave the machine like that - but I have figured out that it is something in that last step of the threading of the top thread. Somewhere between the top and the hook right before the needle the thread keeps unraveling and getting "stuck" thus breaking.

I was having problems before thinking it was the thread and ordered some from Connecting Threads. I don't think that is the problem but I can't figure it out...

Any ideas?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like you may have a burr on the needle or a knick in the bobbin case.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:21 PM

Thanks! I changed the needle - now tell me what this kink in the bobbin would be...
Old 12-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

not a kink, a nick (knick). sometimes breaking a needle does damage to our machines and makes a nick or rough spot.
you will also need to use a larger eye needle to help the thread travel through the needle without rubbing too much.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 PM

quality of thread makes a big difference - you didn't say what you were using. And in addition to just a "new needle" you need to be using the right needle - smooth eye, large enough for the thread, etc. I think that Doctor Bob from superior threads once said that a single section of thread moves thru the eye several times before it enters and stays in the thread...and each time it passes thru the eye it is more prone to fraying - therefore the need for an extremely smooth eye that feeds the thread easily.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks! What is the best size needle. I may have to buy it. This is my first attempt at anything other than simple stitch in the ditch and piecing....
Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Try a top stitch needle, the eye is larger and elongated, allowing the thread to pass thru more easily. Made a big difference for me. Size 90/14 is a good one to start with.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 AM

check to make sure your needle is not rubbing on the hole in the FM foot. I made the hold bigger on mine so that would not happen. It seems that my foot plate has become a little loose so it will shift slightly causing to thread to rub on it.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Check out the Superior Thread web site -- it has excellent information on what size needle to use with what size thread. Follow those recommendations to help with your quilting issues.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Yup, agreed. I always use a 90/14 topstitch needle for FMQ, and every now and then even a 100/16 if I'm having issues with fraying or breaking thread. The needle, and therefore the thread, goes through the fabric zillions of times at high speed when we do FMQ. The bigger eye and groove in the topstitch needle give the thread just that teeny bit of extra room as it passes through.