Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New tute from MSQC >

New tute from MSQC

New tute from MSQC

Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Default New tute from MSQC

It's called five and dime with Kansas troubles line of modal fab..... And templates and book from designer too!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

i had trouble finding it on their website. so i did some googling and her is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyZu-j720nw
Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

and when i was on the website, it seems the rulers are currently unavailable
Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard without the ruler...
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM

No question that this "layered patchwork technique" from Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles Quilters looks easy to do. I'm wondering how the finished product will look with the raw edges exposed and how it will wash?

You see, I recently purchased her "Icicle Stars" kit (pictured here: http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_icicle-kisses.pdf) from my LQS unknowing that the darling trees tops and star motifs that I expected to be standard quilt blocks are actually created using this partially raw edge appliqué technique. I'm disappointed because I wanted to learn these blocks and had no idea what I was purchasing till afterward. I'm worried the finished product, although probably fun to do, would look like I was cheating. As a newer quilter, I'm worried it will look like I don't know what I'm doing, lol! I'd love to hear from you more experienced quilters whether you'd use this short cut process (keep in mind that I'm not in a hurry to complete and want to hand quilt this) on this big quilt, or change the blocks to a 1/4" seam block version (which I can figure out and believe there is enough fabric for) Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JenF View Post
No question that this "layered patchwork technique" from Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles Quilters looks easy to do. I'm wondering how the finished product will look with the raw edges exposed and how it will wash?
Off hand I can't remember the name of the pattern that I made years ago where you layer 3 different sizes squares raw edges on top of each other but these quilts have held up with lots of washing for years...the raw finshed edges have held up and have a soft look to them. It was only the first washing where there was lots of extra pieces of threads (from the raw edges) where as the instruction said to use a laundry mats machines for the first washing after that used your home washing machine.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM

I wish they would have shown closeups of the finished quilt--I, too, would have liked to see the edges of the small squares. It was, however, beautiful fabric!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

It was an interesting technique and quite easy. Apparently the pinked edges are supposed to fray up after washing.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM

The directions are that you sew straight stitching 1/8" in from the raw edge. You may be using the pre-cut pinked edge or an edge cut on the bias. My kit directions have all the raw edge cuts falling on the bias. Carolato, your post is comforting.

My bigger concern is the look of these blocks after this short cut is taken. For example the tree top blocks; rather than being flying geese block, its a rectangle with triangles applied on top of each end using this method. Because they're imitating real blocks, I'm worried it will look like it was done by someone who doesn't know how to quilt.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Please forgive me as I described the block incorrectly. Rather the center triangle of the flying geese type block is the part that gets raw edged appliqued on. And, only on the two sides of it. The bottom is still anchored in a 1/4" seam. So you see many of the sections are sewn like a traditional block. It's all the cool, unique, more complex ones where the raw edge applique method is used. As Angelia said, close up pictures of the finished quilt would have really helped.

I'm probably overthinking this as it is an adorable pattern and no disrespect to the designer of it and the beautiful fabrics. These raw edges will lend texture and a primitive look that goes with the style of this quilt (as long as they don't loosen up over time.) Still wish the outside would have said something like fast short cut raw edge method to give clues that this is not traditional piecing and closeups of the technique as I feel misinformed not knowing anything about it prior to reading the pattern inside.