View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
JenF

No question that this "layered patchwork technique" from Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles Quilters looks easy to do. I'm wondering how the finished product will look with the raw edges exposed and how it will wash?

You see, I recently purchased her "Icicle Stars" kit (pictured here: http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_icicle-kisses.pdf) from my LQS unknowing that the darling trees tops and star motifs that I expected to be standard quilt blocks are actually created using this partially raw edge appliqué technique. I'm disappointed because I wanted to learn these blocks and had no idea what I was purchasing till afterward. I'm worried the finished product, although probably fun to do, would look like I was cheating. As a newer quilter, I'm worried it will look like I don't know what I'm doing, lol! I'd love to hear from you more experienced quilters whether you'd use this short cut process (keep in mind that I'm not in a hurry to complete and want to hand quilt this) on this big quilt, or change the blocks to a 1/4" seam block version (which I can figure out and believe there is enough fabric for) Thoughts?