Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Challenge working with new fabric designs >

Challenge working with new fabric designs

Challenge working with new fabric designs

Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Banned

Default Challenge working with new fabric designs

What challenges are you finding in working with the new fabrics designs. Have you had to change the way you design quilts ( selection of scale etc). I wonder how many of the new designers are quilters. New designs don't appear to follow our usual concept of...large, medium, small/ background prints with variation of color and value.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 AM

I'm assuming you're referring to the "modern" movement. One of the books on modern quilting said a definition of it is that there are no rules. This can be freeing or scary depending upon how comfortable you are with pushing the boundries. The ones I like remind me of Mary Meco (sp). I love simplicity.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 AM

I work with blocks with many small pieces; I just finished a 12" block that had over 160 pieces. I can't see using (and paying so much) for such large scale designs just to cut them up and lose that design, scale, and contrast. The prices at our LQS also went up about $1.00/yard on the new arrivals. Love the new colors, just can't figure out how to use them in my style of quilting.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 AM

With so many choices out there, I don't vex myself with fabric I don't know how to use. Also, by the time I get around to buying the "new" stuff, it isn't so new anymore and usually in clearance ;-)
Old 01-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

​I am trying to use my stash so it isn't a problem for me. The large scale prints I think, look best in simple piecing patterns. Intricate piecing completely disappears with the large scale prints.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 AM

Good question. I find myself attracted to "modern" fabrics. I like the openness of the designs and am always attracted to large scale prints (just check out my stash - I never have enough blenders). It looks great in angular quilts with lots of background to separate it from other fabric, but the fabric doesn't seem to fit well in more traditional settings.

I like modern quilts but will never make only that type. So while I am always drawn to them in LQS, I usually don't purchase because I can't quite figure out how it will fit in the quilts I make. I'm sure I will keep trying though.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:05 AM

The key word is 'challenge'. I recently decided to enter a major quilt challenge and when I saw the fabrics for the first time, I was blown away! I normally use solids, blenders, small prints and tonals...nothing at ALL like what was in the challenge packet.

They are bright, bold, large, vibrant prints from Jane Dixon at Andover Fabrics that are definitely challenging my design skills, but I'm loving being pushed to look at things differently and am really quite excited about all the new possibilities. I love doing challenges for the simple reason that they really do expand your horizons. You can't help but learn something along the way. LOL
Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 AM

Omg, i so identify with this! I only started quilting 2 years ago. For the first year, i had to have every cute follection out there. Since i had never quilted before, i was doing simple, large pieces which showed off the fabric but aren't all that unique. About a year ago i did Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street mystery quilt with zillions of tiny pieces. Now all i want to do is intricate pieced blocks and those collection fabrics just don't work. Last week i got all those collections together, i have 15 piles of fabric that don't work for what i like to do now. Oh, i'll do something with them, but i know i won't love them! Now, all i buy is remnants and sale fabrics in small prints. Live and learn! Jo in NC
Old 01-01-2014, 07:13 AM

I do find the new designs challenging because I like the piecing process a lot. This means I am not content just to sew large squares and rectangles of big scale fabrics into rows. Some of the fabrics, I take the time to really figure out good blocks to use them in; some fabrics I decide not to buy for this reason.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 AM

I have to agree with others that there is enough fabric choices so that we do not have to be challenged unless we want to with the new designs. I love to look at them, but mostly can't afford to buy them. Must use what I have.

I have seen some very creative use of these fabrics, so some are finding it no challenge at all.