Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio? >

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Default What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

I was thinking today, I've made quite a few quilts but I really don't have that many that I've kept for myself. So, when I look at a ratio between the ones I've kept vs the ones I've given away..... well, I've given away a lot more. So, I'm currently working on 2 UFO quilts, one is for me, the other is a gift for my daughter's 25th wedding anniversary. And the next 2 UFOs are for me. But then, I have 4 quilts that I need to make for nieces and nephews. I want more of my quilts. I need to make a new rule. One for ME, one for someone else. That should work, don't you think?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 AM

I am with you. I have given away all the quilts I have made. I haven't kept any. I do have patterns that I am saving for myself. I need to follow your example ( one for me and one for you), but I always have a special occasion that creeps up.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 AM

I'm like you--I don't have any of my quilts. I do have one, but I have been planning to give it away if the occasion arrives. I agree, some of my UFO's need to be for me. Maybe that would encourage me to finish them.
Sue
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 AM

I have given most of my quilts to family members. I have one I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond on my bed. Hopefully this will be the year I will get one for me.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I give most of mine to my daughter. She has to have at least 40 quilts. My son has about 10. And then all my family members each have one or more. I've kept about 15 of them. I was just talking to my friend here on the board and said I wanted to keep more to have on hand to be able to give to someone if they do something nice for me. I don't want to have to wait and make it. I wrapped a quilt in Christmas paper and stuck it in my mailbox and gave my mail carrier (a wall hanging that was embroidered with Santa's and Snowmen for Christmas). It was nice I had it on hand. She left me a card the next day in the mail saying she loved it. Made my day. (I asked the Postmaster if I could put the package in the mailbox and he said they look the other way with things like that. That was nice to know)

Last edited by jcrow; 01-19-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 AM

I only have 2 of the quilts I have made. One is a block of the month that my mother and I took a class together for. I combined our blocks and made a quilt. I will never part with that one. The other is a lap quilt that no one has claimed yet. I use it for a picnic table topper. Most of my quilts get claimed by kids and grandkids before I finish them.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 AM

I have my first hand pieced, hand quilted lap quilt plus one that I made especially for my bed. I have back my husbands & grandmothers after they passed away. Everything else has been gifted to special people. I have a SAS begun that is hopefully MINE!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 AM

I have kept a hand quilted red/white full size quilt I finished in 1991, (it only took 7 years) and a Baltimore Album quilt that I made a year or two ago, the rest either my children have received, or it goes out the door to Quilts of Valor. I currently have a king size bed that has a rummage sale bedspread on it, (My husband and I can't agree what should be on our bed) and another rummage sale material quilt hanging on the wall (it is going somewhere, sometime) and I have been quilting for about 40 years. I wish I had all the pictures though. Only in the last 5 years or so have I kept the pictures of my outgoing quilts.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I have made 2 bed quilts for myself and some wall hangings. All the rest I have given away!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 AM

kept my first one given all the rest away. so much more fun