Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio? >

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks, you guys. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I know that quilters are a kind bunch of people.... this proves it. Quilts are costly, time extensive, and often, works of art. And we give them away...... pretty good of us, I'd say.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 AM

I have given away every quilt I have made except a scrap throw I made for myself from some of my favorites from my stash.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM

I give all of mine to charitable causes -- Owlvamp will vouch for me on this! I kept one but I don't like it now that it's finished, so it will probably go in the next box of charity quilts I send to owlvamp. I just enjoy the process -- it's (usually) cheaper than a psychiatrist.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 AM

I have kept all of my class quilts, as they are reminders of what I've learned. Other than the one I made for my son and the one for our bed(also a class MQ), it's only been the class quilts that I've kept. I have one UFO that needs backing and quilting that was going to my nephew but my husband is adamant that I keep it as it isn't a class quilt! He is upset that I give so many away. But I see it as me not wanting to become the "crazy old quilt lady"--like the cat lady! So I can say that I've given more than I've kept.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM

I've made over 100 bed, children's or wall quilts. I've kept 20. I think it's pretty much a must do.....giving quilts away, as we would be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of them stored in our houses, quilting being so addictive!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:38 AM

I don't own a single quilt I've made. Every last one was a gift. Irritates the bejeezus out of dh.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
I have my first hand pieced, hand quilted lap quilt plus one that I made especially for my bed. I have back my husbands & grandmothers after they passed away. Everything else has been gifted to special people. I have a SAS begun that is hopefully MINE!
What is SAS?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Ive made quilts that ive wanted to make - i see a pattern and want to try it out.. but if a family member comes to visit and say they want it then it goes home with them.. ive had my time with it and if it makes someone happy then im happy to give it anew home... I make exra large throws now just for that reason. they can pick form the pile and i dont have to stop making them due to no more space to house them all . lol..
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM

Sounds like a good plan! When I did counted cross stitch I did so many beautiful gifts to give away & have very little of things I made for myself. I never thought to take pictures either! I'm better with quilts; I have made many for myself.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I guess I am with most of you, I haven't kept one yet. I did make myself a great one, but, my grandson claimed it. A red rooster design called, Rhythm and Blues. It was turquoise, white and black with great geometrics. A free pattern is at their site, by the way.

I do have two that were passed to me from both my dad and my mom's estates. But, I don't use them. I am afraid to use them for fear they will fall apart. Both are quite old.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.