Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio? >

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

What's your KEEP vs GIVE AWAY ratio?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I was thinking today, I've made quite a few quilts but I really don't have that many that I've kept for myself. So, when I look at a ratio between the ones I've kept vs the ones I've given away..... well, I've given away a lot more. So, I'm currently working on 2 UFO quilts, one is for me, the other is a gift for my daughter's 25th wedding anniversary. And the next 2 UFOs are for me. But then, I have 4 quilts that I need to make for nieces and nephews. I want more of my quilts. I need to make a new rule. One for ME, one for someone else. That should work, don't you think?
I made a sail boat kiddo blanket but ended up keeping it because the colors matched my couch exactly. All else gifts or donations
Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prekteacher View Post
My ratio is probably 1 to 7. I finally finished a winter quilt for me and two table toppers. For others, I have made two photo quilts, many baby quilts and several quilts for my grandchildren.
Thanks for the reminder-----------The table topper in my avatar is mine, I gave it to my younger DD, but she didn't want it. And just today I put away a second Christmas topper-----------got snowball blocks of the cutest reindeer ever. Gave away a bunch.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:11 PM

All mine have been given away. But this year I"ve vowed to have this one quilt which I started HQ last year finished. I always put myself last. This year I"m not. I will keep one at least. May be the only one, but I love to see the happiness it brings to those I give to.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Last year, I made 28 quilts and gave them all away. This year, I am going to follow jcrow's suggestion of keeping a few quilts on hand so that I will have them if I need a quick gift. Of all the quilts I have made, I have kept 4. My daughter has 3 foster children. Recently, I have been making quilts for them. That is such fun and they are always so excited to get another quilt from "Grammy".
Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 PM

So far I've given away all the quilts I've finished. I have one planned for me (its a flimsy) and one for my husband (haven't started yet) but I really want them to be used so I don't mind giving most of them away. Several have been donated to project linus and some of project quilt lemonade. The rest of the ones in progress are for family members.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 PM

I give away most of my quilts. Have the "one for me' quilt almost finished.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 PM

You sound like me...except my husband isn't irritated by me giving quilts I make away. He's irritated by the mess they leave behind!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:59 PM

God bless you for treating your daughters foster children as well as you would treat your own grandchildren. They will remember and love you for the rests of their lives.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lstew2212 View Post
I am with you. I have given away all the quilts I have made. I haven't kept any. I do have patterns that I am saving for myself. I need to follow your example ( one for me and one for you), but I always have a special occasion that creeps up.
Same here I haven't kept not one for myself. I have gifted all I have made over the years. I just finshed a BOM last month and made 2 blocks each month is different colors one I was planning on making for myself and gifting the other yet wouldn't you know it my DIL mother I hadn't made one for yet. At Christmas she said as she loves my sewing I haven;t gotten a quilt yet. I have made her purses, table runners and many others quilted items but she was right I hadn't made her a quilt yet. So I said you are the next one and showed her the BOM blocks...she picked out the color I was planing to make for myself...lol.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:39 AM

Wow this got me thinking...As I look around my living room - a quilted wall hanging, one on my lap, on on the small couch, 3 small ones on the top on the couch where the cats lay on them, two more on my couch folded...we had company over last night and each of them got a quilt while watching the football game. One on the ottoman - saves it from all the cat hair...we have three cats. Three on my bed, one in the guestroom, two in my husbands den, one in my sewing room...Yikes...I also have given many away for my 2 brothers, 2 sisters, Mom, Dad, nephew, 2 SIL's, son's girlfriend, several for my sons, DIL, several for my GGD, two for my aunt, one for my uncle, one for my cousin. 5 for NEADS raffle, 2 for Heart Raffle. One for a friends son, three for coworkers, two for my nieces - I think that is it...I have only been sewing for 4 years.