Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First I Spy Quilt >

First I Spy Quilt

First I Spy Quilt

Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 PM

Default First I Spy Quilt

Hello,

I'm thinking about making my first I Spy quilt (and third quilt ever) for my upcoming niece/nephew (due in April) and I was hoping I could get some recommendations on where to get the 5" charms from. I don't have too many good fabrics for I spy and I can't seem to find any charm packs online that would work.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Ebay or Etsy-people will sell charms on there already cut in assortments just for this purpose- -just search for charms for I spy quilt. Hope this helps
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

When do you need it by? there are swaps going on all the time.. I host 10.5 swaps.. Yosamitesa hosts 6.5 swaps and usually there's 5in charms Ispy swaps going.. Its a good way to get a scrap 'stash' going..
Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM

I'm just finishing my third I Spy quilt, two were for the granddaughters, one for the youngest grandson. What kind of fabrics were you looking for? Did you have a particular theme you wanted to use or just any boy themed fabric?

I started collecting 1/4yd pieces. I bought fabric from Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, Joann's and even some from Walmart. Found fabric with dogs, some paw print, SuperMan, some that pirate ships, and some John Deere tractor, baseball fabric. Just went through the fabric stores looking for things that were something a little boy would be interested in, still have plenty to make quilts but it was fun collecting them. Bought Superman fabric from Walmart for the backing, and it absolutely was the best fabric for the quilting stitches are so hidden by the busy print! On this last quilt, I repeated the fabric blocks several times scattered around the quilt. It's so busy with prints that you really have to look hard to see the repeats and I turned them to go in opposite directions so no matter which end you're looking from, it's right side up. It's amazing how after all the blocks were sewn together, they all go together. It certainly wasn't intentional but the primary colors are dominant.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. Take care, Chris
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

I Spy quilts are fun! I collected for a while and exchanged with friends too. There have been I Spy exchanges on QB but I don't think there is one right now. Some internet fabric companies have I Spy packages too.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

Sellers on Etsy or Ebay sell packs of I Spy charms that they have cut. Take a look....
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM

This site has lots of cute fabric, charms, and 1/4 yds too:
http://www.bugfabric.com/
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM

I personally don't use precuts but buy my fabric 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc yard increments at a time.

I do go together with a few quilters and will buy whatever length and then subcut it into the needed amounts. This is because near us is a LQS that has 40%coupons and honors the snail mailed JoAnn's coupons up to 50%. This way we get good quality fabric at a discount.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 PM

I've participated in several ABC I Spy swaps in a Yahoo group online- 1 novelty 6 1/2" unfinished square for each letter of the alphabet. Set 5 by 6 including 4 corner squares with some alphabet fabric, then sash if needed to increase the size. I haven't saved any pics to post. There are several good suggestions posted above, also consider posting in the Wanted section of the Board if you have a request.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 AM

Most of my quilts are either charity quilts or something I've made for my grandchildren. I want them to enjoy sleeping with their quilts or having some cuddle time with their mother or dad. If something spills on the quilt, its no big deal. They've enjoyed and will continue to use even if it is stained. For me its more important that they remember that Nonnie made something for them. I couldn't afford quilt if weren't for the average fabric store fabric, other is just too expensive!