Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just spent the best day, I had five old friends from Florida to Massachusetts , >

Just spent the best day, I had five old friends from Florida to Massachusetts ,

Just spent the best day, I had five old friends from Florida to Massachusetts ,

Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Just spent the best day, I had five old friends from Florida to Massachusetts ,

All quilting together around the same table my mom, grandmother and several aunts used to gather to sew. We may have had stuff all over in three rooms but it was worth it. I planned working on my first stack and wack, but one lady needed some embroidery done so out came the machine and I did my first set of towels. It was great to see some of these ladies whom we haven't seen in several years. I was wondering if anyone else still gets together with a group of friends to share our gifts?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

wow, sounds like a great day, all you needed was chocolate.
I get tog with a few friends on Tuesdays, that I met here on the board.
we always have fun and get stuff done.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM

i have 3 sisters and we are always at one of our homes (mostly mine its the biggest) doing some kind of craft Quilting, knitting ,crocheting, embroidery even jewelry making ....someone calls to see if there's coffee and it goes from there..Then our children call saying where are you and then more come.By then crafts are put aside and the pots are on the stove..I'm so so so Blessed. we are not only family but friends too.
<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

Nope....I quilt alone. There is not one member of my family or friends who is remotely interested in quilting. In fact...they don't get it at all. When one old friend found out I quilted...she said "you don't look like someone who quilts". Mind you, they do admire the finished product....Glad you had a wonderful time of catch up and sewing.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM

I go to club once a week to visit with friends there -- don't take any sewing though. When I want to get a lot done I prefer to work by myself in my own home. I do have one really close friend I take quilt trips with and talk quilts with when we go to lunch.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Im in a sewing group.. we have a potluck and show and tell... I do meet with a few of them from time to time and have a day of sewing.... not sure we get much done but love the conversation and company the most !!!! We even go as a group to the local shop hops.. Once we all went to one it was from 8am for breakfast and i didnt get home till 7pm !!!! we had fun..

Sounds like you had a great day..
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Nope....I quilt alone. There is not one member of my family or friends who is remotely interested in quilting. In fact...they don't get it at all. When one old friend found out I quilted...she said "you don't look like someone who quilts". Mind you, they do admire the finished product....Glad you had a wonderful time of catch up and sewing.
When my 79 yr old mom and 82 yr old dad come by to see me, I usually have some quilt squares pinned to my living room curtain. My dad says..."that's pretty". My mom says..."that would make me a nervous wreck if I had to do that!" I probably don't look like a quilter either. I probably look like an old hippie who at the age of 61doesn't care what anyone thinks.haha I don't quilt or craft or scrapbook with anyone. I like being alone except my DH is retired now and is here at the house.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
When my 79 yr old mom and 82 yr old dad come by to see me, I usually have some quilt squares pinned to my living room curtain. My dad says..."that's pretty". My mom says..."that would make me a nervous wreck if I had to do that!" I probably don't look like a quilter either. I probably look like an old hippie who at the age of 61doesn't care what anyone thinks.haha I don't quilt or craft or scrapbook with anyone. I like being alone except my DH is retired now and is here at the house.
Nothing wrong "old hippie", Here too! At 61, I don't care what anyone thinks about my methods.
peace sister

EDIT: It must be very nice to have a group of family and friends to gather around and share. very nice indeed!

Last edited by ube quilting; 01-29-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I don't 'group sew' but I have one friend from college whom I'm teaching to quilt, who comes over once a month. Normally she has a task for the quilt she's working on that we both do. My sister has a quilt that she only works on at my house. If you only plan 1 day a year to do this it doesn't get done very quickly. We are going on year 4 on that one.
Just found my embroidered hippie jeans. Size 4. Sigh.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:13 AM

That sounds like a wonderful day. I would love to have family and friends who would gather to sew together. I have tried to get my daughters interested, but they aren't. Maybe someday they will join in. I sew by myself, but once a month I go to a sewing group at my LQS for show and tell. I have friends that I enjoy being with there.