Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Eleanor Burns book should I buy? >

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I love Eleanor Burns. Once you discover her books quilting will be so much easier. Her books are so detailed you can't go wrong. I sure was happy when I found her.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Jcrow, you will love her geese ruler! I have always made geese with a wonky right wing until that ruler. It was a great purchase for me.
meeeetooo! I agree!!!!! I now have all her sizes of fg rulers I got the mini set from her website but the rest I got with coupons from joanns my guild is haveing a quilt challange quilt/wall hanging any size but needs to have 3 different sizes of fg I started playing with scraps easy peesy
Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 AM

I too feel she is one of the reasons I am still quilting. I loved her tv series....always wanted to throw my trimmings over my shoulder! I have all of her books.....they are very clearly written and illustrated....
No, I do not find her quilts boring...I think of her as a traditional quilter.......you learn all the correct principles, then you can expand in any direction you choose.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 AM

I have most of her books. She is a great teacher, and seems like the sweetest person ever. I like the way her patterns offer several different size quilts from each pattern.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM

I had the privilege of meeting and visiting with her in Houston last Fall at the International Quilt Festival. She is indeed such a gracious and lovely lady and makes one feel so comfortable and at ease, making you feel like you're talking with an old friend. She autographed her book, Eleanor's Kitchen, for me and I highly recommend it.
Her assistant, Sue (of the infamous "Demise of Sunbonnet Sue" blocks) was there as well and is just as friendly and personable as Eleanor.
We also met and visited with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. If you can possibly make the trip to Houston in October/November, I strongly encourage you to attend the Quilt Show and Market!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM

I love her methods! I would also recommend Egg Money and/or Still Stripping. I pull those books out every time I'm in a pickle, she makes sense to me.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 AM

love her, she has so much knowledge and makes such wonderful quilts.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Jcrow, you will love her geese ruler! I have always made geese with a wonky right wing until that ruler. It was a great purchase for me.
I purchased both sizes years ago and have never used them. I just do not find flying geese that challenging. Personally, I just cannot stand to watch the woman. I have used her books on occasion.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 AM

Eleanor has quite a story of how she began publishing books and also how she came to simplify patterns with strip quilting. Once you try Eleanor's way, you might wonder why you tried any other way. I began with her Log Cabin way back in the mid-80's. I was used to the way my great-grandmother and grandmother made quilts. That would never work for me, so Quilt in a DAY...more my style. The Log Cabin is my favorite. Irish Chain is another of her early books that is a quick pattern. I did her braid quilt and it was easy-peasy! My husband was in the kitchen last night and he chimed in with "I hear Eleanor...are you on You Tube?" Yep. She and Jenny Doan make quilting fun! IMHO

Last edited by coopah; 01-31-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
No, I didn't know there are dozens of her videos at Quilt in a Day. Thank you for telling me about them. I will check out her site right now. I know nothing about Eleanor Burns at all.
YouTube has many of her videos….I have her Still Stripping after 25 YEars……and I love that book. You can't go wrong with any of her books - but I hardily agree - watching the free videos is just THE BEST!