Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Eleanor Burns book to buy?

After watching her videos online, I find that I like patterns in many of her books. As a relative beginner, which book would you start with in order to learn good techniques?

Egg money quilts is a good one with several patterns.

When I was just beginning I bought "It's El-ementary".

My first EB book was Christmas at Bear Paw Ranch. I'm still using it.

I agree with ps150. Love Eleanor and have several if not all of her books.

I started out with her "Trip Around the World" book and have made several of those, and I am currently working on another one. Next, I got her "Log Cabin" and that is fairly easy for a beginner and looks great. Egg money quilts is also a wonderful book with alot of quilt history of yesteryear and even recipes too! Out of all the quilt books out there, I enjoy EB the best as she is clear with her directions and her books are nicely printed {easy on the older eyes}!

I don't have any of her books yet. Next on my list. However, i do have several of her video's. Really enjoy watching them over, over,over and over. I also have Quilting Quickly and Quilting Quickly II taught by Jenny Doane. You can view her free tutorials at www.missouriquilts.com

You can't go wrong with anyone of them.

I have several of EB books but my vary favorite is "Christmas at Bear Paw Ranch' cause it has 27 projects in it with easy instructions. If you go to her website some of her books are on sale.

Thanks, everyone. I was hoping one would rise to the top but it seems that there are many that people like. That's the problem I'm having :)

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i would go to Joanns & look through some--or your local library. who knows what you might find!

i heard egg money is good...they were sold out last time i tried to purchase it!

Blog Entries
    I have several of hers..but my favorite is "Still Stripping after 25 years"..I have made several quilts from that book.

I had put Still Stripping after 25 Years on my b-day list and am thrilled to have it - love the patterns in that book!

If you use your Joann's coupon you'll get it 40% off which makes a big difference!

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    I have several of hers..but my favorite is "Still Stripping after 25 years"..I have made several quilts from that book.
    I have that video and love it.

Blog Entries
    I have lots of her books. I think if you want a lot of different blocks choose one of her sampler books, Under Ground Railroad for one. Good luck and enjoy.

I too a class with Eleanor using the Still Stripping book. It was a lot of fun.

An easy one to do is Irish Chain. The single is really easy

First check them out at your library. When you find one you love, purchase it.

I did that with Victory quilts. I love the stories she tells at the start of each chapter and the stories.

Jean

connecting threads have good prices on their books also if you are interested.. I have lots of Eleanors books and i like them all. Lovers knot is a great book also.

Blog Entries
    My first quilting pattern was Eleanor's first printed book (Irish Chain Quilts) that she self-published. It is my fall back pattern, when I have no idea what to do for someone. It really is done step by step for a beginner.

Blog Entries
    I just finished her Double Pinwheel which is book all by itself. Just a really neat pattern. Her instructions are so easy to understand.

I love love love Eleanor Burns! She is my hero. I took a class as a beginner in 1993 using her Trio of Treasures book to make the Bear Claw. All of her books are wonderful. I am not crazy about the patterns - not enough information for beginners.
    Irish Chain is probably the best 3 color quilt you can make. Log Cabin is second - and good practice to keep the seams at 1/4"

Quote Originally Posted by LadybugPam
    I love love love Eleanor Burns! She is my hero. I took a class as a beginner in 1993 using her Trio of Treasures book to make the Bear Claw. All of her books are wonderful. I am not crazy about the patterns - not enough information for beginners.
    Irish Chain is probably the best 3 color quilt you can make. Log Cabin is second - and good practice to keep the seams at 1/4"
    Are you saying that her patterns don't give enough information for beginners? I thought that she was the one author who took you step by step through the process and that is why I wanted to get one of her books as a "how to quilt". I have bought books that others recommend and find that they don't give step by step directions. Is there anyone who does this?

Love lots of her books. Favorite and have it several times is a log cabin book.

Love lots of her books. Favorite and have it several times is a log cabin book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceil
    Quote Originally Posted by LadybugPam
    Are you saying that her patterns don't give enough information for beginners? I thought that she was the one author who took you step by step through the process and that is why I wanted to get one of her books as a "how to quilt". I have bought books that others recommend and find that they don't give step by step directions. Is there anyone who does this?
    They were step by step enough in "Irish Chain" for me to make my first quilt, and I have a brain injury. I would be honored to answer questions if you need help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast