Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen >

Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen

Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen

Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
I set up a small kitchen in my laundry room, microwave, slow cooker, toaster, coffeepot ect and I have a sink in there. We put the fridge in the garage.
This is what we did also. Along with the paper plates and with the sink right there and a dish pan we managed to survive. I also had the bbq grill near so I could cook on that. My grill also had hot plate so I could also cook in a pan, of course you can also use an electric fry pan.
We were gluttons for punishment did the kitchen, living room and main bath at the same time. It was worth every month of living like that. Good luck to you I know you will be very happy when it's done.
Mia
Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 AM

We used our propane 2 burner stove. Make coffee, tea, stew, burgers and the list goes on. Get paper plates and a large bowl/pan for washing some things. If it is summer plan to BBQ.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM

These are all great suggestions - just adapt them to your needs.

My husband and I did a total gutting/remodel of our kitchen and started it the week after we got back from our honeymoon. Yes, we were crazy to do that! But we survived and made sure we laughed alot as it took about 3 months longer than the remodeler said it would. Just look at it as an adventure!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM

We haven't actually remodeled so I don't know about your questions, but we did recently buy a new modular and I was able to have some input into the design of the kitchen. My one big recommendation is drawers. Lots of them. We got no door cabinets in the lowers except for the sink and what was supposed to be a cooktop (long story-we didn't use our cooktop) and in some shallow cabinets in the island but the rest are all drawers and I LOVE it. I keep my pots and pan, dishes, bowls, etc all in drawers. I was skeptical at first but it's the one thing I love most about my new kitchen. I have pics on my blog.
http://canwebuildthis.blogspot.com/2...r-storage.html

This one shows the cabinets before we moved in. The cabinets in the first pic are a bit different now (we ended up buying a slide-in range instead of using our old cooktop and wall oven like we had planned) but the rest is the same.

http://canwebuildthis.blogspot.com/2...d-kitchen.html
Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM

I am jealous. I would love to have the chaos if it means I can update my 1978 kitchen. My DH hates the time and frustration with fixing up anything so I just spend the extra on sewing.
My opinion is you can put a crock pot, toaster oven, coffee pot etc. just about anywhere except the bathroom and a teenager's bedroom. We put our electric griddle outside to make bacon. Love the bacon, hate the smell that lingers.
We bought an electric double burner buffet server (under $50 and comes in handy during the holidays) when we were waiting for a new stove to be delivered (long story). There are some things that we simply won't use a microwave for.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

http://retrorenovation.com/category/kitchen/
pages and pages of info on loving your old kitchen!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 PM

Lots of good ideas of been mentioned. I waited a long time for my kitchen remodel and it was worth the wait and every penny we spent on it. Make sure you have a good contractor and crew --that helps a lot. Our contractor cleaned up at the end of the day, so even though there was a lot of chaos and dust, it did help to keep the dust down. Keep your meals simple and remember it won't last forever.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:34 PM

We used a gas grill. electric skillet and crockpots. Plan on the remodel taking about twice as long as expected. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 PM

If your space for small appliances is going to be limited, I would say that an electric skillet with a domed lid plus a microwave will do just about anything you need to do. The skillet will do everything from pancakes to pot roast, which are a couple of things I can think of offhand that don't go well in the microwave. A crock pot would be good, too, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the skillet. They're usually available for about $20 on sale or with coupons at department stores. The grill will be great, but you can't count on it because of weather. I assume that you will usually have running water available in a bathroom, so a kitchen sink size plastic tub might be helpful for cleanup, and a hand held shower sprayer might be helpful for filling it, depending on the layout of the room. I hope you will have access to your fridge because things would be much more challenging without it.

In hot weather think of serving lots of chef salads. It's an easy-to-fix meal if you get pre-washed greens, shredded cheese, pre-cooked or leftover meat. Good luck with your project!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM

If you're willing to buy something, I have the ninja 3 in 1 cooker and it was invaluable during the time we didn't have a stove or oven. There are other brands of the same thing. It can bake, roast, slow cook. Plus you can cook things that you would normally cook in a pot on the stove.