Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread fraying >

thread fraying

thread fraying

Old 02-15-2014, 04:56 PM

Angry thread fraying

Ok, I never claimed to be the brightest crayon in the box but my thread keeps fraying and breaking while trying to FMQ. I am using a new size 16 needle. I verified that I threaded the machine correctly. I have tried several kinds of thread. I read previous posts on the problem. One thing that is really throwing me for a loop is I tried a size 18 needle. The thing would not fit in the needle bar. It came in a package of three sizes and all the others fit in the machine just fine. I have two sets of these multiple size packages and neither 18 will fit. Now I know this just isn't right but I've tried so many times and cannot get the needle into the machine. I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I'm about ready to try smaller needles and I guess I'll have to go buy some different threads. If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-16-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM

I'm not sure this will help but, I had a similar problem when embroidering in a small area like filling in an eye, or something else. My dealer said she thought there needed to be a minor adjustment to the 'hook'. I had it in for service a couple of weeks ago and she was going to adjust it then. Perhaps that could be your problem? Or, just another thought, are you using the correct foot for FM quilting? Hope you can figure something out...I understand how frustrating it is!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 PM

what thread, and what type of needle. My experience as being new to FMQ is that cotton threads shred more than poly. Have you tried topstitching needles as they have a larger eye to help with this as well.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 PM

I agree with Dolphyngyrl about the topstitch needle. I ave also learned that my machine likes me to go slow with some threads.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

Not all domestic sewing machines will take a size 18 needle. What is the brand and model of your machine? Which threads have you tried? What foot are you using?

I would stick with a size 16 needle (topstitch is best, but a regular sharp needle will work too; not ballpoint).

My guess is that the tension settings may be wrong for FMQ. Although this Youtube video has advice for longarmers, it works well for domestic machines also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Basically it involves reducing bobbin thread as much as possible, then adjusting top tension until you get a balanced stitch. If you start out with bobbin tension too high, top tension will also need to be very high to get a balanced stitch -- and this tight tension results in fraying of the thread.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM

I had the wrong needle when the thread kept fraying. Just recently had this problem at a class I took at my LQS. Amazing difference when the needle was changed.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 AM

The topstitch or quilting needle, tho my repair guy seems to think a 16 will do anything. Have you checked your needle plate/hole for a burr that might be wearing your thread? And feel around the bobbin/bobbin case also. You can smooth it off with emery cloth. And look for bits of thread in the thread path or tension disks if you can get to that area. Try flossing the thread path with your foot up (unwaxed floss.)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 AM

do you have a open FMQ foot? My thread will fray sometimes if my needle is too close to the hole and is rubbing on te edge oif the whole. My FMQ can move a little so I need to make sure the thread is not rubbing against the hole. someday I will have my DH take out the plastic to make this an open foot.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Sorry no problem fraying on my machines but if I use a length of thread more than 20 inches it will fray before it comes to an end. I put it to the movement of needle and fabric friction.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Evidently the needle was mispackaged. I would throw it out rather than get mixed up with other needles.
Originally Posted by saperry View Post
Ok, I never claimed to be the brightest crayon in the box but my thread keeps fraying and breaking while trying to FMQ. I am using a new size 16 needle. I verified that I threaded the machine correctly. I have tried several kinds of thread. I read previous posts on the problem. One thing that is really throwing me for a loop is I tried a size 18 needle. The thing would not fit in the needle bar. It came in a package of three sizes and all the others fit in the machine just fine. I have two sets of these multiple size packages and neither 18 will fit. Now I know this just isn't right but I've tried so many times and cannot get the needle into the machine. I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I'm about ready to try smaller needles and I guess I'll have to go buy some different threads. If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to suggestion. Thanks.