Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Applique >

Wool Applique

Wool Applique

Old 02-22-2014, 04:19 PM

Default Wool Applique

Hello,
I am new to quilting and am interested in finding out more about appliqueing with wool on flannel or cotton. I have read that many people that applique do not like to use a glue based interfacing because it makes the applique flat. Some cut out the center and only leave enough for the seam allowance. I guess my question is...does this also apply for appliqueing with wool? I was online and saw some beautiful wool appliqued quilts and the applique just seemed to pop off the quilt. Absolutely stunning!
Can this affect be achieved if the wool applique is fused down with an interfacing or has something else occured to get this result. Does batting and quilting play a part also? Hope you can see the photo. It is from the Quilted Pineapple.
Thanks You
April
Old 02-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board. The reason why the applique looks so 'puffy' in the picture is due to the very heavy quilting done in the area around the applique. They may have also done some trapunto. You can fuse the applique, blanket stitch the edges or do both. The raised effect has very little to do with the applique, it's all about the heavy quilting in the surrounding area. The quilting compresses the background making the applique appear raised.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-22-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM

When I use wool I do not remove the fabric below as the wool is so forgiving.......and Paper P stated it well R/T the quilting........