Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for quilting log cabin >

Suggestions for quilting log cabin

Suggestions for quilting log cabin

Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Default Suggestions for quilting log cabin

I'm very new to long arm quilting and need some suggestions on how to quilt a log cabin top. I cannot do stitch-n-the-ditch and I think an allover meander would not look good. Any suggestions would be most welcomed.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM

I just gave a king size log cabin to my son, it was hand quilted down the center of each log. It really looked nice
Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Feathers in the light areas of a log cabin look nice.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t237281.html
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 AM

I just finished a log cabin quilt and plan to quilt it on my long arm using the Baptist Fan pattern. I purchased the groovy boards (not sure if that's the correct name) from Urban Elementz. I think they also have a pantograph. I have used that pattern on several other quilts and really like it.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I just finished a log cabin quilt and plan to quilt it on my long arm using the Baptist Fan pattern. I purchased the groovy boards (not sure if that's the correct name) from Urban Elementz. I think they also have a pantograph. I have used that pattern on several other quilts and really like it.
Yes, as I was reading the post, I kept think what the name of that pattern was. Thanks lfletcher for reminding me what a great pattern this is!! Yes, check into a Baptist fan. It will look great on it. You want something that will stand in the background and not try to draw attention away from the pieced quilt top. I notice so many quilters want to show of their quilting but you really should want your piecing to be the star of the show and the quilting to compliment the piecing.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 AM

I think that since the eyes see mostly straight lines in the log cabin pattern, I would choose a quilting pattern with gentle curves ot curls....a panto would be great....I definitely wouldn't overquilt as you want the piecing/log cabin pattern to be what you see first. Have fun choosing the pattern (I am so jealous of anyone with a LA).
Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 AM

I don't know if this link will work or not. It is a picture of a log cabin star quilt I hand quilted. I did stitch-in-the-ditch on the colored part of the star and did diagonal lines on the white background "logs". (The white part is pieced logs.) If you are comfortable doing straight lines, you may want to go diagonally across the quilt instead of in the ditch.

https://www.facebook.com/12930409375...type=3&theater
Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Wow good to hear there are still hand quilters out there. I hand quilt and really enjoy it.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I notice so many quilters want to show of their quilting but you really should want your piecing to be the star of the show and the quilting to compliment the piecing.
Unless of course it a whole cloth or welsh style strippy quilt. The modern quilt movement purposely leaves loads of "negative" space to showcase the quilting. So piecing is not always the star of the show. It all depends on the quilt.

As to the OP, try googling images of log cabin quilt quilting. I agree the baptist fan pattern is classic and timeless and it seems to work on so many quilts. Given the traditional nature of many LC quilts a baptist fan could be an ideal choice.

So much depends on the setting of your LC and your confidence and ability. I think I would let the setting determine the quilting. Dunster's link is a perfect example of letting the setting determine the quilting. Other examples; if it is set in Barn Raising, you could do something to accentuate the on point radiating square that forms, like straight lines in the lights mimicing the diamond. Straight furrows would look beautiful with a continuous feather or cable in the furrows, Sunshine and shadows would be striking with feather wreath or floral motif in the light squares. Search the net for inspiration, there is loads out there.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-22-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM

I vote for a continuous, but fun, feather in straight furrows!