View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I notice so many quilters want to show of their quilting but you really should want your piecing to be the star of the show and the quilting to compliment the piecing.
Unless of course it a whole cloth or welsh style strippy quilt. The modern quilt movement purposely leaves loads of "negative" space to showcase the quilting. So piecing is not always the star of the show. It all depends on the quilt.

As to the OP, try googling images of log cabin quilt quilting. I agree the baptist fan pattern is classic and timeless and it seems to work on so many quilts. Given the traditional nature of many LC quilts a baptist fan could be an ideal choice.

So much depends on the setting of your LC and your confidence and ability. I think I would let the setting determine the quilting. Dunster's link is a perfect example of letting the setting determine the quilting. Other examples; if it is set in Barn Raising, you could do something to accentuate the on point radiating square that forms, like straight lines in the lights mimicing the diamond. Straight furrows would look beautiful with a continuous feather or cable in the furrows, Sunshine and shadows would be striking with feather wreath or floral motif in the light squares. Search the net for inspiration, there is loads out there.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-22-2014 at 09:05 AM.