Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scallop binding, need help >

scallop binding, need help

scallop binding, need help

Old 02-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Default scallop binding, need help

I need help! This is my first quilt with a scallop border. I know the binding must be bias but I don't know how wide to cut it or if I should double it and then press or just how to do it. I will be sewing it on the top by machine and finishing it on the back by hand, that is the way I usely do my bindings. This is a sunbonnet sue and overall sam. I have used my deceased DH shirts on it and have enjoyed making it so much. This is my first applique and my first use of conner stones as well as my first scallop border. You can tell I'm kind of new to the quilting world but really enjoying it. I would post a picture but don't know how. Thanks in advance for your help. You have taught me so much on this board. Palmetto girl.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM

I love Sun Bonnet Sue patterns. Please share a pic when it's finished.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:09 PM

Try a sharon Schambers video.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM

You don't have to do a bias binding. You can make the binding a little bigger than the scallops, sew the scalloped edge, then clip the curves and turn right side out. Turn under the edge of the binding and you're done.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:25 PM

Thanks Sue, that does make sense.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 PM

If you want to make it bias, the width is a personal decision. I do double mine just like regular binding. My binding widths vary depending on the look I'm in the mood for. If you have a set width you always cut your strips, that should work fine.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 AM

I'm certainly no expert - have not yet attempted a scalloped edge binding. But I do know that I've read several times that the binding for scalloped edges should ALWAYS be cut on the bias for be best results. There is a really good tutorial out there somewhere on cutting bias binding - it seems a bit complicated at first, but after reading the instructions several times and following them carefully it isn't difficult. And you can get a LOT of binding out of not too much fabric. I just did a 60 x 60 and used only about 1/2 yard of fabric. Wish I could find the link to the tutorial for you - I know I saved it somewhere - just not sure where.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM

http://whatahootquilts.blogspot.com/...dings-and.html

Found this one...good for scallops with inside points. They are fussy, but this tutorial is nicely written.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 AM

I cut my bias binding for scallops the same width as my normal binding.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
If you want to make it bias, the width is a personal decision. I do double mine just like regular binding. My binding widths vary depending on the look I'm in the mood for. If you have a set width you always cut your strips, that should work fine.
I have done bias binding for scallop borders at least a few times. I cut bias strips 2.25" the width I use for my normal binding. You do NEED to cut on the bias so the binding lays flat around the curves. It does take a bit of practice to get the area where the V is because it is not a simple 45 degree fold. Good Luck and don't rush yourself. Taking you time.