Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log cabin cutting question >

Log cabin cutting question

Log cabin cutting question

Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Default Log cabin cutting question

I have a lot of scraps that I'm planning to cut into strips for scrappy log cabins. I was thinking I'd cut 2" x 15", so that if I wanted to cut a piece into smaller sections, I'd get two pieces of usable size out of it, with seam allowances.

Does that make sense? Would you cut them longer or shorter? I'm thinking of putting the fabric into kits, so I don't want to cut them into exact lengths and limit what someone else might want to do.

I appreciate your two cents!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 AM

I don't precut scraps until I am ready to sew a project. I learned the hard way that cutting in advance will certainly bring on new inspiration and cuts different from what I have.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I don't precut scraps until I am ready to sew a project. I learned the hard way that cutting in advance will certainly bring on new inspiration and cuts different from what I have.
It tended to make me mad at myself and frustrated that I had botched something that I could have used, but now I can not
Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 AM

It depends on what size block you want to end up with. If you want a 12" finished block, a 15" piece is long enough for the longest log and could be subcut for shorter lengths. You might want to check the length needed for 2 logs that form the next to outside log of the block to see if the 15" is enough to make two of them. A lot depends on the finished size of the piece and if you want to have enough that some of the blocks can have the same fabric in the same log. Best of luck to you ding this. I always overthink things so this may not make any sense. In that case, please disregard as the ramblings resulting from a senior moment. Joyce in DE
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Believe me, this fabric has been sitting a looong time, inspiring one idea after another. If I don't cut this up now, I will never get anything made with it, lol. As it is, I'm cutting for two plus quilts already!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:16 AM

I think I would cut the strips but not do the sub cutting. Vi
Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JoyceHoopes View Post
I always overthink things so this may not make any sense. In that case, please disregard as the ramblings resulting from a senior moment. Joyce in DE
I'm right there with you! Depends if the center square is the same size as the logs or is bigger, depends on how many logs one wants to use...I'm just trying to come up with a length that will cover the most contingencies...probably overthinking it, lol.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Believe me, this fabric has been sitting a looong time, inspiring one idea after another. If I don't cut this up now, I will never get anything made with it, lol. As it is, I'm cutting for two plus quilts already!
Since log cabin takes a variety of strip lengths. I would cut my width ( leaving what ever lenght is left with out cutting again)and then cut my long logs first, as the shorter left overs can be used for the shorter lengths.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Just cut the width of the fabric and leave it at that.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieSue View Post
Just cut the width of the fabric and leave it at that.
This is what I'd do.