Monogrammers?

Old 03-18-2014, 07:33 AM
KLO

Default Monogrammers?

Wonder if any of you attachment experts know anything about those monogram devices that are sold for the older Singers and Kenmores. Seems like most of the ones I see are for slant needle machines (which I once had but gave to my dil). Have any of you guys used one? Do they actually work? Do you know if they make them for short shank machines? Do the Kenmore devices work on the Singers? If you have used a short shank device (assuming there is one), what machine did you use it on?

Wow, sorry for all the questions but this device really has me intrigued for some reason. Guess I should have "google" it first but I figured someone here must have tried one of these at some time in the past. Since you guys are always so good about sharing your expert opinions, I figured I would try you first. Thanks, KLO
Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 AM

I've got several styles of monogrammers - which one(s) are you referring to?

If you mean the Greist style, then yes, they are identical - with different names. Griest, Singer and Sears/Kenmore (note, there are a few "kenmore" ones that are different)

Here are the boxes for the Greist Designer, and the Singer Monogrammer.

The Singer I have is slant, the Greist is short shank. I do not know if the Singer came in both styles, I've only seen it for the slant.

And a full set of cams. Note - the "black box" kenmore style with stick cams is NOT the same, those are wider and do not fit this style unit.

A few more pictures - they both say for ZIGZAG machines - I do not think they work on straight stitch machines.

As you can see, they are identical units with different "lipsitck" on them.
If you don't care about teh "singer" name, the Greist ones usually sell for a lot less, espcially the cams.

BTW - I have an extra Singer and an almost a full set of cams if you are interested.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM

Good question. I've seen a few monogrammers on Ebay and have been intrigued by them too.
I also want to see a Kenmore buttonholer that attaches to the bed of the machine in action.
Macybaby: Do the monogrammers work as advertized?
Rodney
Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 AM

I've not used one, but those on the attachment board report they do work. Hopefully some day I'll have time to play with all my toys - right now I just collect them.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:46 PM
KLO

Well, drat! I am such a "stunod"!!! Now that I am all hot to trot about these monogrammers, I just realized that I don't have a machine for them. All my older machines are strictly straight stitch. Bummer!!! As I mentioned, I gave away my Singer Stylist that I could have used these on and it was a slant so would have been perfect. Ugh! I can now hear all of you saying "Well, just go buy yourself another one." I just don't have room for another machine, really. Actually I don't have room for the ones I currently have but hoping to remedy that once my outbuilding is finished ..... assuming the weather ever permits that!

But thanks all for the information. I will be saving it for the future. And Cathy, if you still have that extra monogrammer when I get a machine for it, I will definitely look you up. Thanks so much for the offer. Of course with the way you find things, you may have some other one to offer down the line. Already bought some stuff from you and would certainly do so again.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Sewing machines are like potato chips. There's always room for one more. The ones in cases don't take up much room.
Rodney
Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Banned

we have a riccar zz and monogramer together that is in need relocation
Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 AM
KLO

Yea, potato chips and sewing machines have a lot in common ..... Sun Chips are even worse for me! So, SteveH the "enabler", tell me about your in need of relocation machine. Would it really want to travel from the west coast to the east? I should not even be asking about it but .... there you go!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Steve's machines don't seem to have any trouble going from CA to SD. Though I sort of feel sorry for them, coming to the frozen north!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Steve's machines don't seem to have any trouble going from CA to SD.
Thanks, hehe. I kinda pack them with the idea that the dumbest person I know would be the smartest person handling it.

On the last head I sent out I tested it by rolling it down some stairs and then opened it up to see if anything had moved...

The only complaints I have received so far (knock, knock) were from the buyers having "too much foam now" lol