Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for a quilting machine for my girlfriend, considering Babylock Melody? >

looking for a quilting machine for my girlfriend, considering Babylock Melody?

looking for a quilting machine for my girlfriend, considering Babylock Melody?

Old 04-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Default looking for a quilting machine for my girlfriend, considering Babylock Melody?

Hi,

This might not be the right place but here it goes. My girlfriend is looking for a quilting machine. We went out looking at machines today and she thinks shes wants the Babylock Melody. Our dealer is Hayes near Wilmington Delaware.

I do not know much about these machines. It is at the top of our 1K price range and I can not find any reviews of this machine on line.

So I am hoping that some one would point me in the right direction.

thanks,

Kunk
Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM

The Melody is the same machine as the Brother Innovis NX650 Q. Brother makes Babylock machines. Babylock offers extra warranty and classes that Brother doesn't, but a Brother Dealer will also offer classes and warranty, just not packaged as pretty as Babylock. You pay for all that warranty and hand holding you get with Babylock but the machines are identical. If you want to stick with Babylock that's great - use the Brother model # to search for reviews and price differences. Hope this helps. You are a sweet guy to buy your girlfriend such a wonderful gift!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 PM

I have the Baby Lock Quilter's Choice (BLQC2) which is the Melody prior to the name change. I am satisfied with my machine, and I feel that it is a good value as far as features for price. If you can find a new-in-box BLQC2, you could possibly score a substantial discount from the dealer. Mitch's Mom is correct, the Brother NX650Q is the "twin" of this machine, so you should look at and price both, along with the Juki HZL-F600, as it is essentially the same machine as well. Another one to consider is the Brother NX-800 Laura Ashley, another "twin" with fewer stitches than the Melody. You will find that to be the main "difference" between all of these models (the number of stitches) but that is arguable as they may count each stitch separately, though it may be only the needle position that changes. Just be sure to compare these models, and remember that sewing machine shopping is like buying a car. The "sticker price" is just that...strike a deal.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM

I believe the melody gets really good ratings. I think it is used and promoted by Mary Fons from the Fon's & Porter quilting show and she uses it as her primary machine and she is a quilter. The warranty is not much different as I have had both babylock and brother. I think babylock has a gold warranty which is an additional purchase, but there are no special additional classes with the machine, just the ones provided by the dealer, and some dealer offer extended warranties on all their machines, mine does this on all. I know they usually run over 1200 I think. I have had only brothers and 1 brother made babylock, and none have given me any problems, all were very reliable machines. i wouldn't hesitate to buy the melody. The one thing about babylock is they do spend a great deal more money on promotional advertising and education so their brother equivalents are often much cheaper and you are getting the same machine so keep that in mind to if price is an issue you might be able to swing the brother version of the melody for a little less if you have a dealer nearby. It's nice to see someone support their loved ones hobby so eagerly.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:40 AM

I have a Babylock Melody. I have been very happy with it. I also have the Babylock Esante (embroidery); but needed smaller machine to take to classes, etc. and the Melody fits that need.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:23 AM

Can't offer an opinion on the machines your looking at but wanted to suggest stopping in to Stony Brook Sew & Vac in Wilmington as well (http://www.stonybrooksewandvac.com/store-locations.htm). I've not been to that location but it is the dealer I use here in Central NJ. I bought my viking from them but know they are carrying other brands now as well. Happy with the deals and service I get from them. Might be worth a look. And you can ask them if they have a local repair guy or if it's the same one that travels to all their locations. If it's the same guy that travels, he's a gem of a repair person should you ever need his services.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:12 AM

I don't have the Melody, but I bought a Babylock Serenade about 2 years ago, and can tell you they are great machines. So nice of you to buy her a machine, and to take the time to help her research her choice! It's really all about what features she wants in her machine.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 AM

Sometimes you can get great deals on used machines that have been traded in to a dealer. I purchased a used machine that had been completely serviced and it came with all the free classes I wanted as well as dealer support. While buying used isn't for everyone, it might get you a little more machine for the money. Buying a sewing machine is much like buying a car....you must test drive, you must dicker over price and options, you must ask lots of questions, and make sure the dealer will service the machine. But I think the best tip I can give is to know what features you want before you go shopping...it helps eliminate unnecessary and costly options that you won't use.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 AM

What a great and thoughtful guy u r. Can't help as i only have Bernina machines but sounds like good input has already been given. Good luck.