Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt design software >

Quilt design software

Quilt design software

Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 AM

Default Quilt design software

Hello,

There has been lots of discussion about various quilt softwares available, and EQ looks like the most comprehensive one, although its user interface leaves lots to be desired. For those of you who make your own patterns, which software do you use? I am looking for something that is going to give me the most freedom in creating my own patterns. Paper and pencil are great, but a computer program would be better. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 AM

I can only speak from my own experience and that is very limited. I bought EQ5 years ago and use it for everything from design, color choice, storing patterns I like and almost anything you can think of. The learning curve isn't steep, and Rhonda on this "Board", put together a series of lessons that really help with learning the program.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I can only speak from my own experience and that is very limited. I bought EQ5 years ago and use it for everything from design, color choice, storing patterns I like and almost anything you can think of. The learning curve isn't steep, and Rhonda on this "Board", put together a series of lessons that really help with learning the program.
same goes for me. don't know what i'd do without my eq5
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I also agree. It takes time and effort to learn any program but it is well worth it. Once you draw your block, you can do anything with the block: Paper Piece or print out rotary cutting instructions. In the quilt, you can turn the blocks, you can flip (reverse) the block or set it on point. You want to enlarge or decrease a block. SIMPLE.

You can buy a used program for about $25.00 then wait for a sale if you want to get EQ7. Eleanor Burns has it on sale and so did JAF during their Thanksgiving sale. I don't think a day goes by that I am not using the program. I have own this program since 1995.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 AM

The newer version of EQ has great video instructions. I have had EQ since 4 and love it; they used to have a book called' EQ Simplified' that went with it and was a great help.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 AM

I purchased EQ7 a few months ago and love it, love it, love it!
I watched all the videos and read parts of the book.
Now as I need or want to learn to do something new I research how and learn how to do it.
What I like most about EQ7 is that it is comprehensive. So far I far I have learned to design a quilt, change and view multiple colorations of the same quilt, add design my own block, make my own stencil, create applique templates, pixelate a photo for a photo quilt, and determine fabric requirements. Perhaps more—that is just what pops into my head this instant. Learn EQ7 and you won’t want any other program, I am sure.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I use EQ7 all the time. If I lost everything in my sewing room and on my computer, EQ7 would be one of the first things I would replace.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM

I have EQ7 and love it. it helps with so much. i would take photos of round robins that i was in and make the photo the center so i could pick a border/round that fit with it.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM

I started out several years ago and tested a few programs. Finally settled on EQ5 and have moved forward to EQ7. I love the program! Before I upgraded to EQ7 I checked to see where the other program I had previously purchased are to see if they have improved. None of them are around or if they are there have been no upgrades.

I just had to replace my laptop that was running on Vista. The EQ Tech Support has been wonderful. The same person worked with me through adding back all of my add on products and fabric stashes so now everything is working together. I have most of my old EQ 5 books and can still use many of the idea from them. IMHO it is the best program on the market for anything quilt related.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:16 PM

I'm finding more and more fun things that EQ7 does every time I play with it.