Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using two different machines/quarter inch foot when piecing >

using two different machines/quarter inch foot when piecing

using two different machines/quarter inch foot when piecing

Old 05-27-2014, 05:20 PM

Default using two different machines/quarter inch foot when piecing

Has anyone had a problem with the quarter inch foot if you piece on two different brand of machines? I just saw a video that indicated your finished block sizes may be off if you piece on two different machines as each brand has a different quarter inch foot. I thought a quarter inch was a quarter inch? LOL. I am worried because I just bought a portable, smaller sewing machine to take with me to retreats, trips etc but figured I would end up doing some piecing on that machine and my regular machine for the same quilt. I don't want to run into problems with different sized blocks ( have enough trouble getting my block size correct!). Just wanted to know if anyone heard this or experienced this. If so, will be sure I stick to piecing on one machine.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM

Yes, I believe that this would be possible. Maybe you can do two trial piecing's - one from each machine and then compare them.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Yes, a 1/4" is a 1/4"!!!!

However, that being said ... using a 1/4" foot is not a magic wand to get 1/4" seams!
You need to calibrate your two, doing trial runs as mentioned by NikkiLu.

Example .... with one of my machines, the 1/4" is just that, when I have the needle in the default position. Another machine, I need to move the needle from the default in order to get the 1/4" seam.

So do your tests and know what settings you need to get the same width .... and yes, you can sew on two or ten different machines and get the much sought after 1/4" seams with each machine!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:32 PM

I have a Janome 6600 with a quarter inch foot; however, that foot doesn't give me a scant 1/4" unless I move the needle several notches to the right. I have to do something similar on my Janome Jem. Just figure out which setting on each machine gives you the same scant 1/4" measurement and adjust them accordingly. Then you can use either machine interchangeably. This assumes, of course, that you can adjust your needle positions.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 PM

I have a scant quarter inch on the edge of a piece of cardboard. It is marked with 1/4" painter's tape which in reality is actually .23 instead of .25 (which would be exactly 1/4"). So for a scant quarter the .23 painter's tape is perfect for the scant measurement. I keep this piece of cardboard handy and when I go from one machine to the next machine, I use this to make sure the needle is coming down exactly on the edge of the tape and the other edge is marked on the bed of each machine exactly where the edge of the fabric should be. I have several machines and two of them always go back to a standard setting from the company which doesn't always mean a scant 1/4". It works for me.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I have calibrated all my machines to do the exact same 1/4". A nifty tool I bought from one of Bonnie Hunter's workshops works to ensure the same seam on each machine you use. Dritz also makes one and I've seen it at Walmart.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 PM

I use a 1/4 ruler to check the measurement. It has a little hole in it for the needle. I then move my needle 1 or 2 to the right on my Janome 8200. On my little Brother that I use at class I have the line marked with painters tape.
I have not had problems using both machines to do blocks as long as I do this. QuiltingHaven's idea is also good
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 AM

If your 1/4 has the metal edge guide, it can be off a bit. Would you foot fit both machines? I've been able to swap them between machines before. Not with the ones I currently have. If you have a computerized machine you can move the needle. For the mechanical machine, you need to be more creative.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:30 AM

Very definitely yes. I basically ruined a log cabin quilt by doing this. I used a lower end Janome of my daughters in the class instead of my Bernina I normally use. The Janome could not sew a correct 1/4 in seam with the 1/4 foot. I gave the machine away and would never buy another Janome for this reason.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Lots of things can affect your seam allowance: changing thread weight, fabric type or using a different machine. Remember you need to measure the fabric patch, not the seam when figuring out where you need to sew.
How to check:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html