Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about a Standard Slim Rotary >

Question about a Standard Slim Rotary

Question about a Standard Slim Rotary

Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM

Default Question about a Standard Slim Rotary

Hi all! This is my first post but I have been reading this specific board for about two years and have been too shy to post until now. I recently picked up a standard slim and it is missing the bobbin case (and bobbins). It takes the bobbin case that has the solid tube based on what I have read so far. My question is this: it looks like there is more than one version of the solid tube bobbin case. How do I know which is the right one? I have two that I am watching right now on ebay. One seller did repost with a new picture of the flip side of the bobbin case and it looks right. The newest listing only has the back side pictured. I have written that seller to see if he/she can tell me what the other side looks like. The back sides of both these bobbin cases look slightly different to me and therein lies my problem. I don't want to get the wrong case if there is more than one version with the solid post. I am going to attempt to post a picture of my bobbin area for reference.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Banned

1. WELCOME to the board!
2. Here is a cleanup of the pic that is rotated and focused on the bobbin area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477897[/ATTACH]

I would say that Macybaby is your best bet here to answer this. I believe that she has both types of Standard machine and is quite knowledgeable on the variations of machines in this timeframe. (I collect 1901 and earlier)
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM

Thank you, Steve!

It's nice to finally post rather than just read all the time. I will wait and see if Macybaby chimes in with any suggestions. I believe this machine may be from the late 1890's. The last patent date on the plate is 1896.

I have other vintage machines as well, so I look forward to participating on the board more in have future. The cabinet this machine came in is a mess and is missing many bolts so I am sure I will be posting about that somewhat soon as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Here we go:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477901[/ATTACH]
It's not a shuttle bobbin machine, it's round bobbin machine and in this picture the bobbin case is missing.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails slim-standard.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I should have clarified. Yes, I know the bobbin case is round. When I said solid tube I mean in the center of the round bobbin case there needs to be a solid post to fit into the hollow tube that is on the machine. There are a few different versions of the round bobbin cases that have the solid posts on them. Some are smooth and have no latch on them, some have a latch to grab onto like a modern bobbin case does. I have recently found both types and do not know which one would fit this machine.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:33 PM

I'm "watching" something on eBay that ends in 10 mn, and after that I'll go dig around and see what I can come up with.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Thank you, Macybaby! There are two different auctions on eBay right now that I'm watching. Both sellers have added additional pictures of the inside of the bobbin cases after I messaged them. I searched antique standard sewing machines to find those two listings where you can see the differences in the bobbin cases. There is also a third auction but the price is much higher on that one.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:31 PM

ok - here is the "slim" and it looks like you have all the parts with yours

And the bobbin case - I was pretty sure I had extras . . . and I was right. Actually have the whole shuttle race assembly.

This is the "stout"

and bobbin case, totally different from the back side.

The two together. Though the bobbins look quite different, they fit in both cases, though I did not try to sew with them that way.

BTW - what is your serial number? I was wondering if yours will take the chain stitch spider - this is it with the special needle plate to use with it. It fits into the shuttle race instead of using the bobbin case. I'm pretty sure I've got an extra one of these around somewhere. I know I have two sets for the Stout machine.

Did you get any attachments for your machine? I've got some extra (along with the extra bobbin case) so if interested, send me a PM - others can attest that I'm very fair at what I let my extras go for - I don't purchase to sell, but I do end up with extra stuff in my search for specific attachments.

BTW - I did "win" what I was after - a box of New Home Rotary attachments. Not that I need more of those, but tucked into the box was a Boye Hemstitcher attachment WOO HOO!!! I'm happier about that then snagging the Domestic Cording foot attachment earlier this week.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
... others can attest that I'm very fair at what I let my extras go for - I don't purchase to sell, but I do end up with extra stuff in my search for specific attachments.
Macybaby's prices are NOT fair. They are WAY low. I felt guilty about my purchase (for a bit... until I got wrapped up in playing with the toys...)

(told ya she was the expert on this....hehe)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:43 PM

Also - I've seen some newer ones that have a clasp on them (on the back side) but otherwise they are the same. That would be a nice improvement as otherwise you need fingernails to get the bobbin out of the case