Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing Clover Chaco Slim liner from Quilt >

Removing Clover Chaco Slim liner from Quilt

Removing Clover Chaco Slim liner from Quilt

Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Unhappy Removing Clover Chaco Slim liner from Quilt

I had a dozen "purple be gone" and NOT ONE worked even though they had never been open. I have always had success using the WHITE Clover Chaco slim liner to mark my larger borders with no difficulty getting the chalk off. The white did NOT show up on the fabric I was marking so I grabbed their blue powder liner!! NOW it won't come off the quilt!!! I have tried vacuuming it which didn't work very well. I called Clover customer service and they suggested using a Mr. Clean sponge. They said to use it dry. THAT didn't work. I don't have the ability to wash this quilt in my washer and hang it out to dry because it has become very cold here in sunny California. Does anybody have any suggestions. THANKS !!!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM

I'm so sorry that happened. I have no idea, but will be watching this thread for any solutions people may suggest. Did you check out the hints site on the board?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Perhaps you could go to a laundramat and wash it in one of the extra large machines, if they have them. To dry, you could do what my mother used to do in the winter. Hang a clothesline inside and hang it there. I've dried things on a line in my basement in the past, too.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Maybe you could spot it with oxyclean???
Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 PM

When I took my FMQ class, the instructor said that he had used the blue "pounce" to make a white quilt top and he also couldn't put it in the washer. He said he had to keep spraying and dabbing with water and then letting it dry. It got lighter and lighter each time until it was done. . . 8 tries later!!! I would definately try the Oxyclean!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't know if this will work with blue but I had trouble with the yellow Chaco marker. I emailed the company and they suggested a solution of 5parts water to 1 part vinegar. I dabbed it with a wash cloth and the yellow marks came right out. Try this on an inconspicuous spot first, but it's so dilute it shouldn't harm your quilt. Good luck! Hope this works for you.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 AM

I wash and dry my quilts in the machines on regular settings assuming this is how they are going to be treated by their recipients. Is this an art quilt that you couldn't machine dry? I'd pop it in the washer and just make sure the marks come out before putting it in the dryer. I know I've used those markers in the past and not had issues with them coming out when washed.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I have the same problem with gray chaco chalk. I washed the quilt in the machine and it is lighter, but still there.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 AM

Sorry to tell you but washing is the only way you are going to remove that blue chalk.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks to all of you who posted answers, I used a blue Chaco liner to mark a quilt that I am hand quilting right now. You have probably saved me some serious frustration. You folks are GREAT!