Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern? >

How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern?

How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern?

Old 06-12-2014, 02:26 AM

Default How difficult is this Judy Neimeyer pattern?

I know many of you have made Judy Neimeyer quilts and I am wondering how difficult this pattern would be? I am a good quilter but have not done a whole lot of paper piecing, some but not tons. This quilt is calling my name- 'buy me buy me'. I would love to give it a go, but don't want to waste my money on something that will not get completed.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/PRE-...lt-Kit-85-x-85
Old 06-12-2014, 03:14 AM

I can't speak for anyone else but I bought the Glacier Pines pattern, took a look at it and was so intimidated by it I was going to give it away. I had never done any paper piecing before. Then I saw the Cattails in the Meadow and decided I might could do this. Nothing like starting at the top instead of learning on something simple. Well, long story short I started on it and am completely hooked. I can not wait to start another one. So if I can do it so can you. Just do it.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:22 AM

omg too hard for me
Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 AM

It doesn't look too bad, only a little curved piecing, which isn't as bad as you think. I jumped right in and did Sea Urchins as my first Judy Niemeyer quilt. Although her instructions are very long, I was intimidated at first, I just took my time and did it step by step. If you are a confident quilter then I say go for it!!! The result will be worth it.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 AM

Judy is Very good with all her patterns If you can paper piece and follow instructions then it's Going to be Ok. And I believe that if you have questions you can always email her.
But you must follow her instructions. I've made the mistake of doing something out of sequence and then I had problems. You will be just fine!! Go For It )
Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I have purchased 2 of Judy Niemeyer patterns recently. I haven't been able to find the fabrics I want to use with this pattern called Crackers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoffman-Crac...item33903c303d

It is a wonky flying geese and is a simpler pattern, I then want to do her pattern called Island Sunrise:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Island-Sunri...item1c415efa82

I plan to do some sewing on something with curved piecing since I have never conquered that technique before. You might look on Craftsy website to see if there is something (especially if it's free) that will get you familiar with paper piecing. I find that with this technique that either you love at first sight or that you absolutely dread it. I would hate to see that expensive UFO sit in storage. Good Luck !!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 AM

If you have been a quilter for a while, you should have no problems. I agree with the others, you HAVE to follow Judy's instructions. They are so very detailed that you can get lost in them. But without them, your quilt will be much harder to make. The "add-a-quarter" ruler is a necessity for most of Judy's patterns. One I found on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-A-Quarte...item2a3cd24bbe Your local quilt shop or Hancock's of Paducah should have the ruler.

I am currently working on Bali Wedding Star and Desert Sky. Other than 3 NY Beauty blocks I had not done any Paper Piecing before starting the Bali Wedding Star. I had a friend who explained what Judy was trying to tell me for the Bali Wedding Star. That helped a bunch. When I started Desert Sky, I had no problems with the instructions. Paper Piecing is much easier than it looks, but takes a good bit longer than doing straight piecing. I am so very HOOKED!!!! My next project I start will probably be Judy's Amazon Star, just got to finish BWS & DS.

Bottom Line....If you love the pattern and the material....Go for it. If you get confused by the directions, there are many on this board who can and will help you.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-12-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 AM

I just took a class with one of her certified instructors and found it pretty simple. I agree with the others, FOLLOW all directions and you will be fine. I bought the add a quarter ruler, a purple thing, and a piece of template plastic (to help crease the paper). The purple thang was to help ease fabric around a curve. I'm doing desert sky.
I word say go for it.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I found tons of mistakes and inconsistencies in Judy's earlier patterns, and they weren't documented online. However I understand that the later patterns are better written. I think the hardest part of her quilts is deciding on fabrics. After that it's tedious and time consuming, but not difficult, to finish the top.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Personally, I think not doing something just because it looks too hard is silly. Do as the others have said - follow the instructions, and if you find it's beyond your skill level, put it aside for six months while you work on other projects. You will be surprised at how much your skills have improved in that six months (as long as you keep sewing).