Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OBW queen size? >

OBW queen size?

OBW queen size?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Default OBW queen size?

How much fabric would I "appx" need to make a queen size OBW (with borders)?

What does the average OBW quilt end up being?

Last edited by quiltingnd; 06-16-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 AM

A whole bolt?? Considering the amount of waste with that pattern, you'd probably need that much.

Jane
Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 AM

There is a lot of waste? I used a yard of ten yr old fabric to actually see if I could find the repeat and cut the fabric and get the strips like they say....and I barely had ANY waste. The waste was less than a handful of fabric. Just the ends of each strip from where you start the triangles? Or did I do it wrong?

I'm finishing up the last batch of hexagons now. It currently measures 26 1/2" square prior to sewing.
Attached Thumbnails my-obw.jpg  

Last edited by quiltingnd; 06-16-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Unless there are a lot of hexies that don't have enough contrast or something, there should be no waste other than the stopping and starting with the little pieces at the end. BTW the quilt quiltingnd posted is beautiful.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingnd View Post
There is a lot of waste? I used a yard of ten yr old fabric to actually see if I could find the repeat and cut the fabric and get the strips like they say....and I barely had ANY waste. The waste was less than a handful of fabric. Just the ends of each strip from where you start the triangles? Or did I do it wrong?

I'm finishing up the last batch of hexagons now. It currently measures 26 1/2" square prior to sewing.
wow, looks great so far... seems like it should measure larger. you must have used narrow strips?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
A whole bolt?? Considering the amount of waste with that pattern, you'd probably need that much.Jane
WHAT???????? ..... there is very little wastage in making a OBW!

QuiltingND ... I believe the Bethany Reynolds book about making OBWs has some yardage approximations listed. It's really hard to estimate the quantity required, as the size of the pattern, the pattern repeat and the cut size of the triangles will have an effect. Also, consider whether you are doing the whole quilt as one big OBW? adding borders? using some of the virgin fabric in the borders (or elsewhere).
Old 06-16-2014, 12:48 PM

I did. Since I only had about a yard of fabric, I only cut the strips to 2" lengths.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

As others said, there's very little fabric wasted with a OBW, but there can be a lot of fabric in the seam allowances. In the first OBW book, Maxine Rosenthal says to allow 9 yards for a "queen size or larger" quilt using hexagon blocks, 11.5 yards for octagon blocks. I wouldn't trust that estimate, since it doesn't define what size the hexagons are or what size the quilt will be, but it is a place to start.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Thank you !
Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
As others said, there's very little fabric wasted with a OBW, but there can be a lot of fabric in the seam allowances. In the first OBW book, Maxine Rosenthal says to allow 9 yards for a "queen size or larger" quilt using hexagon blocks, 11.5 yards for octagon blocks. I wouldn't trust that estimate, since it doesn't define what size the hexagons are or what size the quilt will be, but it is a place to start.

What do you mean" a lot of fabric in the seam allowances".........never did one...have book but have not read it yet....does she use wider than 1/4". Or do you mean just that 1/4" is what is wasted? Just wondering...still pondering whether to tackle this or not........