Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Analysis Paralysis - HQ Sweet 16 or HQ II frame with sewing machine >

Analysis Paralysis - HQ Sweet 16 or HQ II frame with sewing machine

Analysis Paralysis - HQ Sweet 16 or HQ II frame with sewing machine

Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Default Analysis Paralysis - HQ Sweet 16 or HQ II frame with sewing machine

I currently free motion quilt on my Bernina 153QE, just baby quilts and table runners so far. I'm ready to upgrade in order to do bigger quilts. I've tried the HQ Sweet 16 and liked the larger work space, but have recently been offered a never used HQ II Frame ($500 including tables and handles) to use with a straight stitch longer-throated machine (not yet purchased). I've tried a long arm, and felt good enough about my ability to push the machine rather than the fabric. Does anyone have any insight into the HQ II frame - I watched the video and sure seems like a big job to load the quilt. Also, what machines work best with an HQ II frame? Thanks for any insight.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 AM

I have the HQ Avante and love it. If I had to pick between the 2 you mention I would do the Sweet 16 as you move it around without a frame just like on a domestic. Seems to me you would like that better than buying yet another machine and doing the loading. If you have the space and $$ go with the Avante.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I don't have any knowledge of the HQ II frame, but there is some work involved with loading a quilt onto any frame, and it becomes easier with time. Also there are many ways of loading a quilt - pins, zipper systems, Velcro, Red Snappers to name a few, and some are easier and faster than others. If I compare loading the quilt with basting the quilt sandwich (again many methods - pins, basting spray, Elmer's glue, needle and thread,...) I would much prefer loading the quilt on the frame.

Now, although my clear preference is for frame quilting, I would also be concerned about the size of the quilting machine's throat. If I were choosing between a 9 or 11" throat on a frame system and a 16" throat in a sit-down system, I would personally choose the 16" sit-down.

Selecting a quilting system is very much a matter of personal preference, space available, finances, etc. I think it's better not to purchase something that doesn't get used (even if it's a "good buy"), because just having it is a barrier to getting what you really want later.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:20 AM

I HATED basting a quilt. With any frame that is no longer necessary. I might consider looking for a used HQ16. Many people are upgrading to the Avante or Fusion.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 PM

Good points - I feel like I would be "settling" with the frame, and there would be a small quilting area with the smaller throat. Not sure which machines the frame could handle, but something to check out for sure. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 PM

Interesting to hear that people would rather load a quilt onto a frame than baste. All I've done is basting, so that's a good insight for me. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 PM

Ask either the person who is offering the frame or Handiquilter what the maximum machine throat size is for the frame.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 PM

I have the HQ Avante and use the red snappers to put the quilt on the frame. And love them. I am new at this.It's so easy . Hope this helps. Linda
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Ask either the person who is offering the frame or Handiquilter what the maximum machine throat size is for the frame.
She was going to use it with a Janome 9" throat (not sure of the exact model) - seems like others use the Juki TL2010. I would want to purchase a straight stitch, longer-throated machine to use with the frame IF I were to go this route.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by nanny 1999 View Post
I have the HQ Avante and use the red snappers to put the quilt on the frame. And love them. I am new at this.It's so easy . Hope this helps. Linda
I'll have to check those red snappers out! I did try out the HQ Avante - very fun!