Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To determine fabric content >

To determine fabric content

To determine fabric content

Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Default To determine fabric content

Hi,
I am Renee, Jarenie's daughter. She is is the hospital and I am taking over when it comes to all her activites so that she will be current when she comes home.
I found the in a folder by her sewing machine and thought , after reading some of the posts and relating them to her that this was something she was meaning to post and never got around to it. So here goes.

COTTON-When you light it, it burns with a steady flame and smells like burning leaves. The ash is soft and crumbles easily.
LINEN-Takes longer to light and smells like burning paper or leaves. The ash is much like a cotton ash.
SILK-Burns slowly and smells like hair or feathers burning. The ash is grayish and crumbles easily.
WOOL-Sputters when trying to light and smells like burning feathers or hair. The ash is black and turns to powder when crushed.
ACRYLIC-Burns and melts easily and smells kind of like vinegar or something acidic. The ash remnant will be hard like a black bead.
NYLON-Melts and burns slowly and smells like burning celery. The ash is like a hard gray or brown bead.
POLYESTER-Melts and burns at the same time and can bond quickly to any surface it drips on. The odor is sweet and kind of fruity and the ash is like a hard, black bead.
RAYON-Burns very fast and smells like burning leaves or feathers. There will be very little ash residue.
ACETATE-Burns and melts easily and smells like vinegar or something acidic. The ash will be a hard, black bead.

A lot of the man made fibers, have the same distinctions and will be harder to categorize. When you try the burn test on a fabric blend, it is supposed to burn in the way each fabric would if it was an individual piece. This test is not as reliable with blends.

Did you know that if you have a fabric and you're not sure what it's made of, you can do a simple burn test to determine what it is? Just use a small square of fabric and tweezers, and have a place to put your fabric as it is burning. You'll be surprised how distinct each fabric is
Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Prayers for your Mom!

Thanks for posting the above info. It is extremely helpful.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I did that once and found out it had polyester in the fabric.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm 67 years old and learned something new a few weeks ago! Rayon is made from wood! And I thought it was synthetic!

Btw, maple syrup doesn't have cslories because it comes from wood. Tee hee
Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM

There are a lot of 'burn charts' available, but this is one of the most comprehensive yet easy to understand.
http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html
Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Thank you for posting this; many of us 'know' this information, but it always helps to have it written down where we can double check.
Please give your mom our well wishes and we hope she's back with us soon!

Jan in VA