Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Content of $5 per bolt Walmart Fabric >

Content of $5 per bolt Walmart Fabric

Content of $5 per bolt Walmart Fabric

Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 AM

I just did a burn test on a sample from one of the $5/bolt Walmart fabrics and it was definately not 100% per cotton. It burned quickly with black smoke and the ash was hard. Forgot to notice how it smelled...I was too busy making sure I didn't set off the smoke detector. The piece I tested was tan with a darker tan fine marbling on it in case anyone else has the same fabric. I bought two other tonals on the $5 bolts and assume they are the same.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 AM

Hi did it say it was 100 percent cotton. If it did I would take it back.

I have a dashound just like yours my is Buster Valentino.

we Just lost Piddle Diddles in May she was 19 years old.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM

No, it said "unknown content" so I'm not surprised. I'm going to use it for backings with machine quilting so I'm ok with it not being cotton.

Sorry to hear about your dog... Wow. 19 years old is great for a dog, but I'm sure it still was hard for you! I have 3 mini-dachshunds. Curley is the one in my avatar and he's 14.

[quote=pojo]Hi did it say it was 100 percent cotton. If it did I would take it back.
Originally Posted by pojo
Hi did it say it was 100 percent cotton. If it did I would take it back.

I have a dashound just like yours my is Buster Valentino.

we Just lost Piddle Diddles in May she was 19 years old.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

i think i would be a little bit afraid of fabric that claimed (content unknown) there are some pretty bad (toxic) materials out there, coming over from other countries that do not enforce regulations concerning content. if you have to use this stuff maybe it would be best for wall hangings or items not actually slept with (or covered up with) there could be some pretty ugly skin reactions, or respitory problems. you have tested to see how it burns, have you tested to see how it washes up? sometimes what seems like quite a deal really isn't, especially when you spend your money on sub-standard products that can cause unfortunate health issues. sorry for being negative but i know someone who had a quilt made with some (questionable) fabric, it had been washed twice before ever being used (once, fab's pre-washed; second a washing of the completed quilt) this person broke out in these horrible looking red whelts (about the size of nickles) all over exposed skin. it was UGLY! the only thing the dr could figure out was that there was some chemical used in the fabric manufacturing that caused it. it was horrible and 3 months later we are still having to use special lotion and the spots are slowly but surely healing and shrinking but it has been a very bad thing. i don't mean to scare you but, i would be very careful! and of course this could have just been a flook...but the questionable fabric was purchased from Joannes; a bolt for $19 i think, end said...'unknown fabric content'....
Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 AM

I don’t think you were being too negative. I’d be really upset if I put my time and energy into making something that would turn out make someone sick! I hadn’t really thought about the possibility of reactions to unknown chemical treatment of the fabric. I just figured it was Walmart’s lazy way of not having to stand behind the product if somebody didn’t like it. I’ve already washed it and it actually washed up quite nicely and it has a nice hand to it. I bought it mostly to use as a neutral, inexpensive backing for things like wall hangings. I’ll think I’ll do a skin patch test before using it in anything that would have prolonged skin contact just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the “heads up”!

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i think i would be a little bit afraid of fabric that claimed (content unknown) there are some pretty bad (toxic) materials out there, coming over from other countries that do not enforce regulations concerning content. if you have to use this stuff maybe it would be best for wall hangings or items not actually slept with (or covered up with) there could be some pretty ugly skin reactions, or respitory problems. you have tested to see how it burns, have you tested to see how it washes up? sometimes what seems like quite a deal really isn't, especially when you spend your money on sub-standard products that can cause unfortunate health issues. sorry for being negative but i know someone who had a quilt made with some (questionable) fabric, it had been washed twice before ever being used (once, fab's pre-washed; second a washing of the completed quilt) this person broke out in these horrible looking red whelts (about the size of nickles) all over exposed skin. it was UGLY! the only thing the dr could figure out was that there was some chemical used in the fabric manufacturing that caused it. it was horrible and 3 months later we are still having to use special lotion and the spots are slowly but surely healing and shrinking but it has been a very bad thing. i don't mean to scare you but, i would be very careful! and of course this could have just been a flook...but the questionable fabric was purchased from Joannes; a bolt for $19 i think, end said...'unknown fabric content'....