Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kansas City Sewing Machine Co. Paint Job >

Kansas City Sewing Machine Co. Paint Job

Kansas City Sewing Machine Co. Paint Job

Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM

Default Kansas City Sewing Machine Co. Paint Job

I was gifted a Davis VF2 last summer. The Kansas City Sewing Machine Co. "fixed it up" at some point. The black paint, and just about everything else, was covered in thick brown crinkle finish paint. I have found paint even surrounding the stitch length knob. The handwheel is completely coated except for the clutch knob. Globs of paint hang off of the backside. Of course, they are next to the chunks that are completely missing brown paint and the black shows through.

What is the history of this place? What on earth were they thinking?!?

This poor thing had been sitting on damp concrete, in its case, for decades. The case bottom is being rebuilt so that I can use the machine. The rest of it was frozen up with rust. Yes, it is now to the point where I can attempt to sew once the case bottom can hold it up. I can't wait to actually quilt with it!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 PM

During WWII a lot of SMs were rebuilt, reconditioned etc because of munitions materials going towards the war effort. Don't know for sure, but that's my guess. I like the Davis VFs, congrats on your rescue/ derust operation!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 PM

I never thought of that. Thank you! My father fixed aircraft on Kodiak Island during WWII. That is a humbling reminder. That machine is going to remain a reminder of its history. Your reminder, priceless.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM

I've seen that Kansas City name here before in relation to refurbs like yours. When the work was done it was just another old sewing machine. They didn't have any collector or antique value then. Old treadle machines were modernized by the thousands with the addition of electric motors and the crinkle paint jobs that were popular at the time.
Now we look back and want them original but in the 40s people just wanted a sewing machine that worked.
Rodney
Old 06-26-2014, 09:04 PM

How did you get the rust off? I have my very old Brother machine in the garage. It had been in my parent's basement and they had apparently had a minor flood. The machine was on the floor and got wet. As it was mother never cleaned anything. AND of course it has rust damage I'd like to get cleaned up. She passed away late last year and my sibling brought it out to me, along with her Singer. The Singer 401A is sewing like a charm, got it serviced and cleaned up from all the nicotine on it. BUT it's a good one.
Thank you for any help or suggestions you can give me.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
How did you get the rust off? I have my very old Brother machine in the garage. It had been in my parent's basement and they had apparently had a minor flood. The machine was on the floor and got wet. As it was mother never cleaned anything. AND of course it has rust damage I'd like to get cleaned up. She passed away late last year and my sibling brought it out to me, along with her Singer. The Singer 401A is sewing like a charm, got it serviced and cleaned up from all the nicotine on it. BUT it's a good one.
Thank you for any help or suggestions you can give me.
Can you shoot a pic of the rusted machine? Some times they can be rescued.