Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing hour glass pattern >

Disappearing hour glass pattern

Disappearing hour glass pattern

Old 06-28-2014, 05:38 AM

Default Disappearing hour glass pattern

I just watched a video about a disappearing hour glass quilt from Missouri Star Quilts and she started out with 10" blocks..however I cant find the pattern anywhere that would give instructions on how to make the final block 12.5". I know after you sew the blocks then cut and sew them again its going to change the size and I was just wondering if anyone had made this block and could help me with the original size to start with? Its a VERY pretty quilt! THanks!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 AM

I believe it would come out to 11-1/4 finished size. Her's was 12-3/4 before the cut into 1/3's (each section would have 1/4 on each side, so that would total 1").

Some blocks (especially the disappearing ones) just don't add up to a perfect 12-1/2" size. You could experiment with different size blocks and see if you can come close. If you are doing a whole quilt with this block, you could just make as is and adjust the border size to get the overall size you want.

You can always try making them out of paper so you don't waste fabric experimenting.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:29 AM

I have made similar ones and they often end up a little wonky. I trim them down to a consistent size many times 1/4 to 1/2 inch less than they say. But mine come out perfect and go together easily.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Starting with a 10" square and then making a couple of HST's with part of it, will never come out 12.5".
If you make each part of the 9 patch with 4 - 5" square, after you take off the 1/4" seams for a finished block, you will only have 12.5". By having to make HST's you are going to lose more size. Then you cut it twice, losing another inch. The final finished could only end up about 11 and that's if you don't do the HST's.

I haven't made the block, but since you will be doing the same thing to every block, and these are usually the only blocks in the pattern, it doesn't really matter what size you start with, they will all end up the same.

Having said that...The Hour Glass block is a 9 patch block, with a couple of HST's thrown in for fun. The same principles should apply to making a disappearing hour glass that you do for the D9P. Please let us see what you come up with. I always love seeing new stuff.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:43 AM

I was going to make a 12.5 single block of the D. hour glass for a swap Im in but think Ill make something else then make a whole quilt using the 10" square as in the video and then I wont have to worry about it being exactly 12.5. Thanks for the hints...I tried 12" block to begin with and its gonna be WAY bigger than 12.5 when finished even with all the cuts you make. IF I ever get one figured out Ill post it! I loved the finished quilt in the video!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:18 AM

I really like the theory behind Jenny's videos but they sometimes lack in execution. This is one of those blocks.

The problem is that Jenny is trying to make HSTs (half square triangles) in the first step, but she is actually cutting pieces for QSTs (quarter square triangles) and then sewing them into HSTs. This is no small difference because it means that every piece you are working with after the first step has only bias edges. This leads to a lot of stretching and distortion even if you are very careful.

In theory if you start out with the same size squares from a single layer cake your blocks would all end up the same size. In practice they don't because as you are cutting and sewing and then recutting and sewing they will be distorted differently.

I made a sample block using Jenny's method. After the first step the four squares were about 6 3/4". I trimmed them to 6 1/2" square to give myself a better shot at a good block. After the second step (sewing the four squares together into a four patch) the block measured 12 1/2". I made my cuts for the third step at 2 1/16" from the center of the block. After sewing the block together into the nine patch it measured 11 5/8" more or less. Even with being incredibly careful, making sure I was pressing and not ironing, it's still wonky.

I do appreciate what Jenny is trying to do - bring quilting to the masses and make it easy enough that a beginner can finish a quilt in a reasonable amount of time. I'm just not sure that teaching bad fundamentals to beginners or other quilters is a great idea. I would have been frustrated if I hadn't learned the difference between making HSTs and QSTs, and ended up with a wonky quilt as a result. Quilting quickly is not always quilting well.

Off my soapbox and back to putting together my progressive learning BOW program.

Here's my block:
Attached Thumbnails disappearinghourglass.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM

I've put together an EQ rotary cutting chart for the block if you want to make it without the bias edges. The block is 12" finished - 12 1/2" unfinished. The only piece it doesn't show is the large corner squares. EQ leaves out any pieces it doesn't think can be rotary cut. You'll need to cut two 4 3/4" squares of each fabric to make the corners. The rotary chart does include the triangles for those corners.

Here it is:
Attached Files
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I made it as Jenny did and didn't have a problem with the bias edges. I made four blocks and they are all the same size. You can always make the hour glass block any way you want first and then cut it. Here is a chart I have for a DNP. It may help with the size question.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DNP size chart.pdf (156.0 KB, 1675 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I made it as Jenny did and didn't have a problem with the bias edges. I made four blocks and they are all the same size. You can always make the hour glass block any way you want first and then cut it. Here is a chart I have for a DNP. It may help with the size question.
Good point Onebyone! I'm glad you didn't have a problem with the bias edges.

Your DNP chart is fantastic! I DNP a lot of different nine patch blocks so this is very helpful. Is it your original chart? If it is, is it okay to share it?

Thanks,

Lynda
Old 06-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Well - for sure you cannot start with 2 10" squares and come out with a 12 1/2" block. You can't even start with 2 12 1/2" blocks and do it with all the cutting and sewing back together - looks like a good math equation, algebra anyone? Will look forward to seeing your final answer.