Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Expectations From a Quilting Class???? >

Expectations From a Quilting Class????

Expectations From a Quilting Class????

Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 AM

Default Expectations From a Quilting Class????

I have been asked to teach a quilting class using different sewing machine feet. I was wondering what everyone likes or expects when you take a class? The class will run once a month for four months, with each block using a different foot. Some examples are 'Pintuck', 'Yarn Couching', 3 Hole Yarn, 7 Hole Cord, and 'Button'....Plus more. Right now, I'm making a quilt using Christmas fabric and this pattern. Although I have taken many classes myself, this is the first one I have taught. I would love suggestions! Hopefully, I have this posted in the correct area. I couldn't decide if it belonged here or in Chit Chat.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I enjoyed the classes done by Libby Lehman on feet for The Quilt Show. I don't know if they are still available to watch but they might give you some pointers. What a wonderful, gifted lady and a long road to recovery from her stroke.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:54 AM

I've only taken one quilting class in person so far, but I've taken lots of other types of classes.

My #1 thing I would expect is for the instructor to BE ORGANIZED, and/or have a helper that can take care of that for you. I hate sitting idle and wasting class time while the instructor fumbles around trying to find something in the middle of a demo or explanation. If it happens once or twice it's no biggie but some instructors, I've felt like half the class time was spent watching them root around in a bag or dig through piles of stuff on a table.

Having fun is also important, of course! I learn best with a sprinkling of laughter.

It sounds like you're going to teach an interesting class! Too bad you're not local, I don't really know how to use most of the "fancy" feet that came with my machine.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like an interesting class. I enjoy any class that I leave a little smarter than before I took the class.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Where in West Michigan is the class going to be taught? Is it going to be open to the general public or do you need to be a member of a guild, purchase a machine at a specific shop etc? I will be in SW Michigan this fall so am interested.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Michigan is beautiful this time of year. How about a road trip?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 AM

It will be held at Lakeshore Sewing (Wyoming store) in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Need to have a Viking sewing machine. Would love to see you.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:05 AM

I think I would like this class (altho it's a little far). I hope you enjoy teaching it.

My number one expectation for a class is promptness! The instructor should be ready to go at the stated time of the class and all attendees should be in place. I hate it when a class is scheduled for 9 am, the instructor putzes around until 9:20 and then someone says "oh we have to wait for Mary ha ha she's always late". Start the class within 5-10 min of the stated starting time. Don't cater to late-comers. I have so many obligations that taking a class is a luxury and if it starts/runs late, I usually have to leave. Sorry to sound like an old grouch but this has happened at 2 or 3 classes I attended so I've quilt signing up. Good luck, have fun!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:21 AM

I expect the instructor to be organized and knowledgeable about their subject, have nice samples, be fun and friendly, and come around to each person if only to say how nice their project is coming along. I had a class once where the teacher sat up at the front and talked only. No coming around to encourage us or anything. And another time the teacher was not very friendly, almost sarcastic. I like to feel the instructor is enthusiastic about what they're teaching and make me feel that I'm not dumb because I don't get it. Of course I also want to feel that I learn something new too!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 AM

The instructor should insist that students arrive and be ready when the class starts on time: no waiting for latecomers.
The instructor should insist that students have basic knowledge of their machine: please don't waste my time teaching one student how to insert the needle or thread the machine.