Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Expectations From a Quilting Class???? >

Expectations From a Quilting Class????

Expectations From a Quilting Class????

Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 AM

This is an interesting question from my perspective since I have been a student in lots of classes and I have been a teacher for lots of classes. As a student I want a class to be organized and have an intended goal that is achieved. I like the teacher to bring lots of examples to show the technique and resulting outcome. I also like to see hand-out material that the student can either use in class or later to reinforce what she has learned. Some classes are meant to be lecture and demonstration while other are hands on. The teacher, in the hands on classes, needs to demonstrate so all students can see her demonstrate. Then, the students need to go to their work stations (set up before the class begins). The teacher should circulate to all students with nearly equal time and offer comment to each one. For those who are ill prepared or not up to speed she should suggest additional help outside the class time. Achieve the class goal.

From the teacher perspective I need to be sure that the class has an outline projection and that it is followed so the students know what they are going to achieve in the class. They need to know exactly what to bring to class and whether or not they are required to purchase anything in addition to class fees. I most enjoyed teaching classes that materials were given to students when they registered for the class and had instructions for preliminary preparation beforehand. This meant that class time would not be wasted pressing fabric, cutting, etc. Make and display prominently samples for all to see. Encourage them to bring cameras to take pictures of our examples. Make your demonstration coincide with hand out material. Do not allow those who are unprepared in any way to derail the outline. Quietly encourage them to see you later-you may not be able to get them on track. If the class content is clear at the time of registration they should be able to discern their ability to participate. All have paid their money for the class and all deserve to go away with a positive outcome.
Whether you are the student or the teacher it takes quite a bit of preparation to have a positive outcome. I almost always ask students to fill out an opinion sheet-with no names required.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM

I'm guessing this is a Viking store? Why does it have to be a Viking machine? I think you can say that the class will be taught using a Viking machine and advise that the class will be taught by a Viking employee, but if I own a Bernina and have a good knowledge of my machine and feet, I think I can attend. Besides, if I know my Janome but see what the Viking can do I might want to buy a Viking machine. I don't think its right to restrict this to Viking machines or any particular machine. The person can stop in and be screened for knowledge before the class if your worried about it right?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM

On the other hand.... Don't start the class early! I always arrive early enough to get my machine set up and supplies and class materials arranged before the class is scheduled to begin, but one time I showed up and they had already started, explained what was going on, and sewn some blocks together and I had to try and play "catch-up" without knowing the technique.

If the "class" is really a social event meant for people to meet and chat while sewing something they already know then it should be listed as such.

I think an added bonus if you are going to a beginning class is to take home a completed project. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and you don't go home, get lost, and feel discouraged with quilting or whatever you were supposed to learn and can't figure out on your own.

I don't have suggestions for your particular class since it is for Viking, but I agree people who do not have Vikings could learn a lot. I attend online seminars and in-store events for Bernina quite often and I own a Janome. Many specialty feet work basically the same on all machines.

I love the suggestions for organization, and not letting the class be all about one person, especially if they do not know how to use their sewing machine. The announcements for the classes I attended stated a person must know how to use their machine. On the other hand ... it's great if someone in the class can help someone who is struggling as long as it doesn't interfere with the class or the instructor's goals. Stuff happens!
Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 PM

This is what I have done when I teach.
Make the class fun but set the ground rules right up front so all will know.
Have all your students turn OFF CELLPHONES . This is annoying to all and just plain rude.
Have good step by step samples made for every foot....Use different colored thread in bobbin and top,this way the students can 'see' what you are teaching and talking about. Pass the samples around.

Label everything with your name,things get misplaced very easily.
Have a good supply list for the students ,include paper and pencil for notes.
Make sure the sewing machines are in working order,you are mechanic and it is not your job to fix the machines.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 PM

all good comments. I've taught diffant levels of quilting and sewing. No children allowed. Sharp intriments. Learned the hard way. Also had several things missing after the class. Limit the number of students . The more difficult the class fewer students. Class helper is great.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Oh, and BTW, how do I put this posting to a permanent thing on my computer so I can refer back to it when I need to?
Some people know how to "save" it. Just recently I found out that when you post a reply to a thread, it is saved. When you open "The Quilting Board, Daily Digest ", you will find your name in the top right hand corner. Click on your name and you will find your personal information. Click on "find latest posts", and that will enable you to view all the responses to a thread to which you have posted.
Hope this works for you. That is the reason I am posting to this thread. I want to view it many times later.

Last edited by maviskw; 07-01-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I've only taken one quilting class in person so far, but I've taken lots of other types of classes.

My #1 thing I would expect is for the instructor to BE ORGANIZED, and/or have a helper that can take care of that for you. I hate sitting idle and wasting class time while the instructor fumbles around trying to find something in the middle of a demo or explanation. If it happens once or twice it's no biggie but some instructors, I've felt like half the class time was spent watching them root around in a bag or dig through piles of stuff on a table.

Having fun is also important, of course! I learn best with a sprinkling of laughter.

It sounds like you're going to teach an interesting class! Too bad you're not local, I don't really know how to use most of the "fancy" feet that came with my machine.
I agree with this. Organization is of prime importance. Visuals make it interesting also -- simple chart or two and samples.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:12 PM

All great suggestions.

For your class, I would want to create a "foot book". Each page would describe the foot (or give a foot number), the stitch, suggestions when it could be used and a sample of the stitch made by the student. The sample should be on white fabric with a different thread color in the top than in the bottom. The student would staple their sample to the page. Also the pages need room for extra notes. Once the course is finished, each student will have created their own booklet to use as a reference guide, complete with a sample that can be viewed from both sides with their own useful notes.

After working through a few samples for the "foot book" in the class, then start a small project that allows the students to experiment with the "feet of the day". This project should either be easy to complete in class or should be easily finished at home before the next class. I really love classes where the students can show off their accomplishments and/or talk about their difficulties. This is a great way to start the next class, it allows a review of what was covered in the last class and gives you the opportunity to explain why the student had problems. (e.g. wrong tension) and celebrate with the students when they had success.

Hope you have fun with your class.