View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM
CAS49OR

On the other hand.... Don't start the class early! I always arrive early enough to get my machine set up and supplies and class materials arranged before the class is scheduled to begin, but one time I showed up and they had already started, explained what was going on, and sewn some blocks together and I had to try and play "catch-up" without knowing the technique.

If the "class" is really a social event meant for people to meet and chat while sewing something they already know then it should be listed as such.

I think an added bonus if you are going to a beginning class is to take home a completed project. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and you don't go home, get lost, and feel discouraged with quilting or whatever you were supposed to learn and can't figure out on your own.

I don't have suggestions for your particular class since it is for Viking, but I agree people who do not have Vikings could learn a lot. I attend online seminars and in-store events for Bernina quite often and I own a Janome. Many specialty feet work basically the same on all machines.

I love the suggestions for organization, and not letting the class be all about one person, especially if they do not know how to use their sewing machine. The announcements for the classes I attended stated a person must know how to use their machine. On the other hand ... it's great if someone in the class can help someone who is struggling as long as it doesn't interfere with the class or the instructor's goals. Stuff happens!