Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing  fabric photos on memory quilt gifts >

washing fabric photos on memory quilt gifts

washing fabric photos on memory quilt gifts

Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 PM

Default washing fabric photos on memory quilt gifts

Hi all,
I am making some quilted gifts for some older church members whose husbands passed away in the past year. I just printed out pictures of their husbands on the June Tailor Colorfast fabric sheets that I plan to use as part of the label on the quilt, but I am concerned about how they (the widows) will be able to take care of these items. On the package it says "do not use detergent".One gift is a quilt, one is a table runner. I am not so worried about the table runner because I think I can tell the woman that she needs to just spot clean the item, but the quilt will need to be washed from time to time.

I thought about making a removable label held on with velcro, but that might be scratchy on the quilt. I would hate to attach a label of their loved one and have the image degrade over time, that would be depressing.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Some people write or print washing instructions as part of the label, or as a second label on the quilt.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

There was a post on this site about getting the photos professionally printed since some inks will fade when washed. You might want to try to find that post by doing an advance search.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM

I have not used the June Tailor, I have however used "Printed Treasures" with good success. I put photos of 13 grand kids on a pillowcase edge. I was going in for a knee replacement and wanted my"babies" close. 6 years later the photos are still bright.