Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Charm square storage help needed. >

Charm square storage help needed.

Charm square storage help needed.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Default Charm square storage help needed.

Started to straighten up my stash today and found a bunch of charm squares I forgot I had. Now I'm trying to figure out what to store them in that I might have around the house. I'm sure I could go to Wally World and find something but I'd rather just find something here. Any ideas of something I can recycle?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:45 PM

any sterlite containers that size in the house? Thats what I have mine in. they also stack I buy them when they are on sale at the store.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM

Depending on how many you have will depend on the best way to keep them. My first thought was a ziplock bag - then they are all together and you can see them easily and won't take up much room. I have lots of baskets and so use them a lot - and when Costco had a sale on those 15" x 15" plastic boxes (5 for under $20.00) I bought them and use them for UFO's. (Told myself I can't start another project until a box or basket is available.) My sister gave me 5 of those "shoe box" size plastic boxes and I have used them for holding scraps. I prefer to use things I can see what is inside.

Just look around your home and find something that fits.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:21 AM

I reuse the nice plastic boxes with clear lids that I get with my Swiffer mop refills. Also use them for binding, odd trims,small scraps, etc. Dollar store usually has pretty sturdy small plastic containers and baskets if you can't find anything around the housel
Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 AM

I have seen floor model plastic cd storage units used for charm packs. Takes up very little space.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if they sell these where you are but I use my empty containers to store my 6 and 1/2 inch I Spy squares in. I LOVE these crackers and see the cute little package of three they come in? 33 packages in a re-sealable plastic container for about $5 here.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM

I have never seen Sky Flakes before, but I do love the way they come. I have some friends who come to AZ each year, I know what I will be asking them to bring this year.
As for my blocks, I use pizza boxes. They come in different sizes, and I can stack them on a shelf. I also put painters tape on the end and I wright what color is inside or the name of the blocks inside. Also makes taking blocks to and from class easy.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 AM

I use the containers that blueberries come in at the store, blue ones. The squares fit in their perfectly. Also, as at the fish counter in your local grocery store. Fish comes to them in flat, long, clear containers that they just discard. I asked and received several and keep some of my excess in there. Recycling at its' best.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 AM

I found this storage cube at Target. (the one on the right). It is small to hang on wall or sit on desk and you can get the small fabric bins to put in it just like the big ones. I have charm packs (fit perfect) in some, thread by color in some, sewing mach. feet in one, etc. I got two but only using one right now. The shelf on left is an old cd/dvd holder. The small fabric bins fit on there too, since the shelves are adjustable. Most of the fat quarters are my 3 yr old granddaughters. She is collecting (every time we go to a store with fabric (Walmart, JoAnn's, Meijers (all precuts on clearance at Meijers) so when she is 4 she can learn to sew her own quilt. I told her she has to be 4 before I help her with the sewing machine.

Sorry picture seems to want to be sideways even tho it is correct when uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails fabric-storage.jpg  

Last edited by craftygater; 07-07-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 AM

I use the multi drawer Sterilite containers sold at Walmart. There are 3 deep drawers & 4 shallower drawers. These drawers hold the triangles, 1.5,2.0, 2.5 & 3.5 strips that I've cut. Mine is pretty full, too. The charms & layer cakes are on a separate shelf in my bookcase...the charms number in the thousands, literally. Forty years of quilting yields a whole lot of scraps - and I'm STILL cutting up my scraps. I've made lots of scrap quilts from these piles & you'd never know I took any fabric from the stacks. I've got two more scrap quilts to make in the near future (queen & king) that are coming from those piles of fabrics. But I love that when I want to make a quilt I don't have to cut up fabric to do it. Plus, cutting up those scraps is a good task when I want to watch a movie and just relax. It's very fulfilling to see stacks of precuts made up at the end of the movie.....