Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Charm square storage

Charm square storage

I use a lot of charm squares in my appliqué work and just ordered 200 more. My problem is how to store them so I can easily see them, and choose which ones to use. Any ideas folks on how I can do this?
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Look at a product called an Artbin Semi Super Satchel. Translucent plastic, @15”x8”x6”. Right now about 12 USD on sale.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

That is one idea, true. But I would be concerned the charms would "fall" and become folded.

I store mine in totes that are wide enough to have 4 stacks of charms. Then I store them in stacks by color. Or if they are still wrapped together (package), I store those on their own stack. I'm not sure if that is making sense, but the clear tote at least allows me to narrow down which one I'm picking, knowing that tote #1 has blue, pink, purple, and green for example.

I'll be watching this, as I think many of us have issues with how to do this well.

I made some of those quilted fabric boxes. I made them so they are 5'5" wide and about 8" long. The charms stand up in them. You could make them in different color to organize by color. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/bags-p...q120214&page=9
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I'm starting to accumulate more charms as I cut down larger pieces. Currently they're in a ziplock bag, but I think ultimately I'll use an Art Bin. To keep them from falling, I'll wrap a stack the way I wrap my strips and strings--loosely with a selvedge tied around with a bow.

You can determine if you'd prefer to organize them into stacks by color or theme, and how large a stack works for you. I'll probably go with 1" inch stacks sorted into neutrals, lights and darks, and keep I Spy squares their own stack.

I picked up a clear wreath storage tote from the thrift store. The lid locks on and has a handle. I think it's about 12x12. Holds 4 stacks of charms, there are a lot in there because of the monthly charm swap. Last month topped it off, so it's time to use some up!
    Name:  charm box.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  64.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
    I picked up a clear wreath storage tote from the thrift store. The lid locks on and has a handle. I think it's about 12x12. Holds 4 stacks of charms, there are a lot in there because of the monthly charm swap. Last month topped it off, so it's time to use some up!
    Name:  charm box.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  64.5 KB

Faintly, mine are adding up quickly because of the swap, too. Such fun! Storage is a great problem to have, isn't it?!?

I stack mine by color and value. That makes it easy and quick to find what I want.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I like the Artbin products best. Rather than the Semi, I'd go with the Super Satchel. You'd be able to have 4 stacks of charms per bin. They come in depths of 2, 3.5 or 6 inches.

I've had the ones like Faintly Artistic and liked them, but the tabs that lock them together or snap the top on, depending on the style, have broken over the years. I had a set that was 2 deep and one that was 3 deep.

I stack my scrappy squares and strips in the plastic bins that come stacked on wheels. Just be careful opening and closing the bin drawers, and they stay put as long as they're not stacked uber high.

I bought Sterilite plastic see through boxes with hinged lids from Mennards. Each box measures 7 5/8"L x 6 1/2" W x 4 l/2"H for less than $1.97 each. The box I'm looking at now will hold 8 complete charm packs so that 338 squares. I can do these by color, print types, or manufacturer. Love having these, and I can stack them on a shelf or place in a drawer.

Blog Entries
    Name:  9B861353-916F-4962-9E9C-809A28A0C762.jpeg
Views: 768
Size:  1.21 MBI use this tea storage box for small pieces. The inserts are removable and it has a snap on lid. They were available at IKEA in the kitchen section awhile ago. Dollar Tree has some nifty storage items, too. Kitchen storage might provide a good solution. Quilting supplies have sky-rocketed, so I try to think "outside the box" when looking for something new and needed. Plus, this one keeps emergency tea bags handy!
    Edited to add: Sorry about the large picture. My iPad is not cooperative today. Sigh.
    Last edited by coopah; 03-06-2018 at 05:12 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Plastic shoe boxes from Dollar Tree.

I stack mine pretty much like everyone else... stacks in boxes or plastic drawers. But, if you want them to be easy to see, as you stated, you might consider putting them in sheet protector pages in a notebook that you could flip through. A lot of work, but you'd be able to see them when you are looking for just the right one for your project.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have tried many different options over the years. I currently use lidded boxes made by Sterilite. Each box measures 11"L x 6 5/8"W x 5 3/8"H. I sort the charm squares by hue and value. My preference is to store the squares vertically in each box so that I can choose what I need by value (I'm an art quilter). I bought the boxes at Big Lots and they cost $3.50 each.

FYI: I've used the ArtBin Satchel and Super Satchel in the past for storing charm squares, but find the smaller Sterilite boxes easier to handle.

Hope you find a solution that works for you...

I have collected LOTS of charms too. I usually buy them as precuts in packs. The packs are the same size as CDs/DVDs, so I started using a tall, narrow CD holder I found at a 2nd hand vintage shop. I filled a second one that looks like a mini bookcase for CDs.
    I don't use them fast enough, so many have been stored away in bins too. But I like being able to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    plastic shoe boxes from dollar tree.
    me too ditto

I am storing mine in Longaberger long bread baskets.
    Carol

CD tower shelves if you can find them. I use them for my FQs but I think would work for charms too. They’re about the size of a folded fq. I got a couple from ikea (Gnedby).
    Attached Images Attached Images