Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
something went wrong w machine free motion quilting >

something went wrong w machine free motion quilting

something went wrong w machine free motion quilting

Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 AM

Default something went wrong w machine free motion quilting

Im not sure what I did I was trying to free motion quilt on my fairly new machine, and the top thread looked really tight and the next thing the needle was sort of out of the holding and sideways. I pulled it out and it was a little bent, so put a new one in but now my machine doesn't auto thread anymore. Im afraid to try to free motion quilt, not sure what could have happened.
Im thinking the needle was loose and just popped out ? but then why did the tension on the thread going to needle feel so tight - maybe thats what made it pop out?
I hope I didn't damage my machine. I can't get it to the repair man, as I can't lift it right now and the drive to him is too far
Should I have my machine set at anything special for free motion quilting? stitch length, tension ?
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Check the thread path going to the needle. If you have a spool with the little notch, that can snag. I once had a King Tut quikting thread make a little lint ball behind the needle which snapped the needle and scared me to death. Was the needle inserted all the way in and the needle screw tight enough. Check the tension discs to make sure nothing is caught in them. You can only pull the thread from the needle when the foot lever is up and the tension discs are disengaged.
I have to push my needle up/ down button before using my auto threader on my Bernina to make sure it is it's highest point or I can damage the needle threader. As for the settings for your machine for FMQing, no way of knowing if it isn't a Bernina.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I would do what Tartan suggested. We both have Berninas. Just clean out the areas of your DSM and do any small maintenance as stated in your manual then go back to trying just straight stitching and see how things go. It could have been your thread, needle, lint, tension or length of your FMQ stitches.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 AM

That happened to me a few time when my thread got tangled around the spool and I didn't know it. I don't know what type of machine you have to give specifics but make sure your new needle is loaded correctly and is inserted ALL the way to the top up of the holder. Also make sure your needle bar is as high as it can go (or whatever position your user manual says) before you try auto threading, then use the hand wheel to sew a few stitches just to make sure everything is all right. Hope everything works out.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 AM

For free motion you obviously want to drop your feed dogs. I usually put mine on a slower speed and move the fabric slowly rather than jerking it around. The little metal finger that forces the thread through the needle may have gotten bent slightly. The worst thing that could have happened is knocking your timing off balance, but it would not make a stitch if that was the case. Sometimes, if there is a lot of vibration during free motion, the needle screw may loosen. Make sure it is tight and retighten every time you take a break during free motion quilting. I now have a Bernina but on my TOL Pfaff I had to do that when embroidering or sometimes the needle would just fall out. What a mess! Lift your needle to its highest level and see if you can get that needle threading finger to into the eye of your needle. You may be able to bend it back into place. Again, I had to do that to my Pfaff, more than once! Best of luck to you on this, I know it can be frustrating! Michelle
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 AM

If your needle got bent, auto-threading often stops working. Try a new needle while you're at it.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 AM

thank you for all your great tips. I have a Babylock Elizabeth machine. Right now the new needle seems to be in place okay with the flat part to the back. It may have been the needle was loose and just fell out before. Its sewing a straight stitch okay but still not threading. I'll get out my little vacuum and make sure there isn't anything that can be cleared up that way too. I now have to get over my fear of free motion quilting. I didn't have it before, but now that I feel I can actually do damage to my machine, i have a whole new feeling.
XOXO Bee
Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

For FMQ, you usually set the stitch length to zero - drop the feed dogs and take the pressure off the presser foot. just start FMQ, I usually use a small sandwich to see how well I move my hands with the speed of the machine. When I have those in sync I just start in. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 PM

I didn't set the stitch length to zero, could that have caused the problem?