Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking Forward to Winter- Part 2 >

Looking Forward to Winter- Part 2

Looking Forward to Winter- Part 2

Old 07-12-2014, 03:57 PM

Default Looking Forward to Winter- Part 2

Apples are done and in the jars and here are 10 beautiful jars of Honey Spiced peaches to go with the Bing Cherry Jam.
Attached Thumbnails peaches.jpg   jam.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 04:25 PM

I am in awe! My cherry tree only produced enough for the birds to snack on. My apple tree is dead...sprouting up from roots in garden soil. Miss making the jelly, jam and apple butter for my family. Tried making cherry jelly, jam and syrup last year, supplemented with purchased cherries and DGS said it was good ...........but not like Nana's usual. My Mother used to make fantastic spiced peaches but I cannot find exact recipe! I always helped, but I don't think she ever used the recipe for anything but reference!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 PM

Gosh, it all looks good enough to eat!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Looks great to me. Good for you and I always look forward to winter.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I am in awe! My cherry tree only produced enough for the birds to snack on. My apple tree is dead...sprouting up from roots in garden soil. Miss making the jelly, jam and apple butter for my family. Tried making cherry jelly, jam and syrup last year, supplemented with purchased cherries and DGS said it was good ...........but not like Nana's usual. My Mother used to make fantastic spiced peaches but I cannot find exact recipe! I always helped, but I don't think she ever used the recipe for anything but reference!

This past fall DH and I canned pears...(his fav - not mine) and we decided to try spicing them somehow and tried cloves. We put 3 cloves in each jar for one canner full....2 cloves in each jar for one canner full....and then 1 clove in each jar for one canner full. When he tried one jar which was spiced with the 3 cloves he liked it a lot but then when it came to the other samples of the 2 and 1 cloves he thought the 3 cloves per jar was a bit much. So this year I think we are going to do them by putting at least 3 the cloves in the sugar water syrup mixture and maybe also try it with some cinnamon. I don't know of any 'recipe' but the cloves sure added a nice flavor. We thought we'd do the same this year with our peaches, but I'm afraid our peach trees won't yeild this year...they don't even have many leaves....don't know what's going on with them! Please let us know if you find a 'recipe'...I'd be interested.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 AM

Those were the days, my friends. Oh, how I remember this. I made blueberry/peach one year (thanks to a neighbor we had) and my brother in Texas said he wanted more as when he opened it and tasted it, he ended up eating the entire jar (jam, that is). He died two years ago and I still miss him.
Dodee
Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 PM

My daughter made the most delicious Strawberry Margarita jam a few weeks ago there is only one jar left. I would post the recipe but we had to make a few adjustments. It is on Allrecipes.com if you are interested. We had to double the pectin. Your jars look like they should be in a magazine. I have bags of cherries with no cherry pitter and I am lazy. I will probably juice them. You have caused me to get the canning bug. I am still looking forward to making the Cowboy Candy you posted earlier. I am having trouble finding enough jalapenos. I am planning to go to the Mexican store next weekend.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

yum well know where to come this winter lol!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 AM

I admire anyone who cans. I purchased the equipment yrs. ago however, the Ball canning book seemed to emphasized "caution" Botulism...........I got scared and didn't try.