View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 AM
Sew Freak

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I am in awe! My cherry tree only produced enough for the birds to snack on. My apple tree is dead...sprouting up from roots in garden soil. Miss making the jelly, jam and apple butter for my family. Tried making cherry jelly, jam and syrup last year, supplemented with purchased cherries and DGS said it was good ...........but not like Nana's usual. My Mother used to make fantastic spiced peaches but I cannot find exact recipe! I always helped, but I don't think she ever used the recipe for anything but reference!

This past fall DH and I canned pears...(his fav - not mine) and we decided to try spicing them somehow and tried cloves. We put 3 cloves in each jar for one canner full....2 cloves in each jar for one canner full....and then 1 clove in each jar for one canner full. When he tried one jar which was spiced with the 3 cloves he liked it a lot but then when it came to the other samples of the 2 and 1 cloves he thought the 3 cloves per jar was a bit much. So this year I think we are going to do them by putting at least 3 the cloves in the sugar water syrup mixture and maybe also try it with some cinnamon. I don't know of any 'recipe' but the cloves sure added a nice flavor. We thought we'd do the same this year with our peaches, but I'm afraid our peach trees won't yeild this year...they don't even have many leaves....don't know what's going on with them! Please let us know if you find a 'recipe'...I'd be interested.