Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Appliqué And Beading On A Bag/Tote >
  • Appliqué And Beading On A Bag/Tote

• Appliqué And Beading On A Bag/Tote

Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Appliqué And Beading On A Bag/Tote

I have recently purchased the Lazy Girl Claire bag pattern with the intention of adding a Mermaid appliqué, fabric paint and beadwork to the middle panel on one side, instead of the pockets on both.

What I'm unsure of is, should I still use iron on batting as suggested in the pattern, or the usual sew-in/on as for quilts as I don't want to wreck the finished beading with too hot an iron?

Also, I have the stamp (SeaSallie) i'll be working from and fabric, paint, beads etc, but wondered if anyone knew what permanent ink stamp from the UK that I could use that would stay on fabric, and yet be washable?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Joanne
    Old 07-18-2014, 03:57 PM

I like using a product called Soft and Stable by Annie. It is a foam type interfacing that give great support. It sews very easily. If you want to use fusible batting/fleece, I would fuse the fabric before cutting out the pieces. That way it won't damage your embellishments.
    Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 AM

Thank you, Pat, I've not heard of that product before. I've just googled it and like what ive seen of the photos and information. I'm going to give it a try as it looks like it will give a more professional, sturdy looking finish.

I just can't bring myself to iron on interfacing behind hours of appliqué and beadwork... I'd be a nervous wreck!

Again, thank you.
    Much appreciated
    Joanne
    Old 07-26-2014, 05:45 AM

My plans for making several bag commisions have had to be changed. I've realised that I could have been breaking copyright with making this bag to sell, as it say for personal use only on the pattern. So, I've made my own pattern... Not as intricate, but will do the business.

Also, a couple more questions... has anyone used a pale coloured Versamark Fabric ink pad for stamping onto dark fabric, and did it show up enough to see and be able to paint the design. I'm wanting to use Sosoft fabric paint for some of the design. The paints I used to have left the fabric stiff... Does Sosoft fabric paint do what is says on the tin, or bottle as the case may be. Does it leave your fabric still soft and pliable?

So many questions, I know, but thank you to anyone who can help.
    Joanne
    Old 07-26-2014, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

Why not do the applique, fabric paint and beadwork after the ironing? Maybe I missed something.
    Old 07-26-2014, 06:11 AM

I've never used the iron on batting before and was unsure if or how to use it... Before or after the beading, or to stick with my usual sew-in batting.