Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh!  Good grief!!! They disappeared. >

Oh! Good grief!!! They disappeared.

Oh! Good grief!!! They disappeared.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 PM

Red face Oh! Good grief!!! They disappeared.

So I finally was able to pull an unfinished quilt out and get started on it. I was going to take it to my LQS and use their long arm on it. But am out of money...so I got to thinking...maybe I could do this at home. I went down the hall Sunday and used the dining hall in my bldg. Put large tables together and spread out my quilt. I found some quilting stencils in my stuff that friends had given me...so I sat down and spent over one and a half hours marking my stencils. Was really excited. But I waited a couple days to start quilting it. Took it out yesterday..and ALL the markings have disappeared. AAUUGGGHH!!! I was heart sick. All that time. So I decided to wing it and just meandered all over it instead. Learned a lesson, I guess...don't wait to finish my projects. LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 PM

How frustrating for you! What did you use to mark the quilt that didn't last? Sure do t want to use it too!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
How frustrating for you! What did you use to mark the quilt that didn't last? Sure do t want to use it too!
I had received these pens from a friend. They have no name on them. Other than they are purple ink..and made in Japan.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Sounds like disappearing ink pens. The marks only last for a few hours. Shame that they didn't have a name on the pens.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

Bummer! Some of the disappearing ink pens look like they are gone but do not iron on the quilt until after the quilt it washed. I saw a report of the brown permanent lines appearing after ironing.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 AM

bummer but congrats on finishing it
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Yes the purple are the air disappearing. Depending on the humidity, I have had the lines disappear in minutes, not hours.

The purple pens are best used for marking as you go. Better suited to LA and hand quilting. I have also used them to mark embroidery lines.

The blue water soluble pens are the ones that last a bit longer but you don't want to leave them on too long. A week or two at most.

Both products should not be ironed over until the quilt is thoroughly washed to ensure all marks have come out. Heat sets the marks.

There are also the frixion pens that you need to hit with steam or heat to remove but they can return if the quilt is exposed to very cold temps (such as in the back seat of a car during winter) until it has also been laundered. There has also been reports of the frixion pens fading dark colored fabrics.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Oh no!! How frustrating!

I like those blue water-soluble pens myself. But as others have said, don't iron over the lines, even if you've gotten them damp to make them "disappear". Until it's actually WASHED, those chemicals are still there and can create brown lines down the road.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:41 AM

Yes, it happened to me too -- I didn't realize what I had bought (didn't read the label) -- we have lots of humidity which really speeds up the disappearing -- if I am going to cut on the marked line or sew immediately, I like the purple pens better than the blue ones, but that's just me!!-- we all have learned about some of our tools because of something that doesn't work like we plan it!!-- oh well....
Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 AM

For long term marking use mechanical pencil with thin lead......that's what I use for handquilting and marking diagonal lines for HST. On L/A I only use white chalk