Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh!  Good grief!!! They disappeared. >

Oh! Good grief!!! They disappeared.

Oh! Good grief!!! They disappeared.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Oh...the things we learn the hard way. lol
Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 AM

What a hard lesson to learn. I am sorry it happened to you. On the flip side you didn't let it stop you! You figured out a way to finish it and I'll bet it is beautiful. Congratulations!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 AM

You can use a thin sliver of soap also. It doesn't evaporate or permanently mark the fabric. Washes out completely also.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Bummer! Some of the disappearing ink pens look like they are gone but do not iron on the quilt until after the quilt it washed. I saw a report of the brown permanent lines appearing after ironing.
This is a very true statement. Ask me how I know! No heat until after it is washed!
peace
Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Yes the purple are the air disappearing. Depending on the humidity, I have had the lines disappear in minutes, not hours.

The purple pens are best used for marking as you go. Better suited to LA and hand quilting. I have also used them to mark embroidery lines.

The blue water soluble pens are the ones that last a bit longer but you don't want to leave them on too long. A week or two at most.

Both products should not be ironed over until the quilt is thoroughly washed to ensure all marks have come out. Heat sets the marks.

There are also the frixion pens that you need to hit with steam or heat to remove but they can return if the quilt is exposed to very cold temps (such as in the back seat of a car during winter) until it has also been laundered. There
has also been reports of the frixion pens fading dark colored fabrics.
Be careful with the frixion pens, I was working on deep purple solid and did not like the way the marking line so I hit it with the iron and i did leave a tell tale light white mark. I have used these pens often and have not had this problem before so I am thinking it is because the fabric was dark and solid. I have never had this happen with a print or a light color. I am not really to upset about it as it is just a light mark but want others to be aware and test first.